How to encourage bees to fill the Flow Frames

Have you tried applying wax to the plastic frames? I just put my Flow super on this week (SoCal). I pushed some blobs of burr comb into the frames and drizzled a little sugar syrup with Honey-B-Healthy onto the frames. We will see whether that works.

Here is a list of other suggestions direct from Flow (not me):

1. Establish your brood box only first and wait until it is 90% full of brood comb (you should experience a carpet of bees coming through the inner cover hole) before you place the Flow Super on top
  2. Add some wax to the Flow Frames - when you add the Flow Super, use wax from the same hive and melt it so that you can scrape it on to the Flow Frames.
  3. Add a sticky to the Flow Super - replace a Flow Frame with full and capped brood frame. Be aware that the sticky may include brood, which will all be hatched within 2 weeks. If you see drone bees inside the super (where they shouldn’t be), they will be able to find their way back to the brood box (they will be looking for the queen) if you just open the lid of the hive for a couple of hours, ideally in the morning.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes