Labelling Flow Hive Honey

When I harvest my Flow Hive honey, I’m going to organise little labels (for family and friends). It will not be sold.
However, can it be labelled as “pure organic honey”?

Hi Heddyjan, you can but you can’t sell it.:wink:
My understanding is that to use the word ‘organic’ you need to be certified, https://aco.net.au/ and how can you guarantee your bees aren’t foraging on non organic flowers and plants in their 5km radius foraging range?
Although I don’t label my containers, I market my bees honey as delicious fresh untreated, unfiltered raw honey. :grin:

1 Like

Excellent info thank you.
I don’t want to sell honey I just want to give it away to family and friends.
Any left over I might try my hand at making Mead.
My dad wrote books on home made wines and had an excellent recipe for Mead.

1 Like

I say much the same as Skegs does, with emphasis on how fresh it is. Hyper-local is the word @Dawn_SD uses I believe :grinning:….would you be willing to share your dad’s mead recipe?

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’ll look it out and post tomorrow. He was an award winning winemaker.
His mantra …. if you can eat it … you can drink it. :wine_glass::wine_glass:

4 Likes

Our Christmas presents were labelled above…

Raw unfiltered honey. (That way I can get away with bits of bees, wax etc :rofl:)

4 Likes

Ultra-local when I am selling it on next-door.com :rofl: It works really well as a selling point, because my neighbors are largely unaware that there are bee hives in our little suburb. They like having honey from their own neighborhood, rather than from some commercial supplier 50+ miles away.

But I also label it as Raw and Unfiltered. Sometimes it is strained, but never filtered.

3 Likes

Dad’s Mead Recipe

7 Likes

Thanks for that, could you please post the yeast table also.:slightly_smiling_face:
It looks like a nice simple one that can be done with local ingredients in summertime.

1 Like

Gervin Yeast can be purchased at most home brew shops.

4 Likes

If you cannot source that yeast another recommendation that I’ve been reading about is Lalvin D-47.

3 Likes

Nothing beats that :sunglasses:

@Heddyjan thanks for sharing this treasure! I am eager to try a batch - is it lemon balm or bee balm/monarda that your dad is referring to?

1 Like

Not sure.
Maybe check out both.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, sounds great! I will definitely try this after harvest.