Mouse guard necessary for Flow Hive 2?

Hi folks, coming up to my first fall and winter my with Flow Hive 2 (made of Araucaria, painted).

I’m wondering if a mouse guard is necessary, given that the opening clearance of the Flow Hive 2 seems much lower than in a traditional Langstroth hive.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

I’d put one on yes. Hives are so attractive to mice and shrews so with a little chewing I bet they’d make it in. They can definitely get in Flow 1 entrances. Don’t ask me how I know :expressionless: You can easily make one out of hardware cloth and staple it on.

2 Likes

If the opening is more than 9mm high (I bet it is), an adult mouse can get in. Take from somebody who has worked with the skulls of a lot of mice… :wink: Plus as @Eva says, mice are legendary at gnawing things to size…

2 Likes

A mouse guard is a must in my apiary, I used to find mice on the base board having been stung to death. These work for me. They can be turned upside down to lock the bees into the hive with ventilation if you need to move the hive.
Cheers

1 Like

OMG today is the first I am hearing about mouse guards. I better get prepared as we have lots of mice here. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

It is amazing how a mouse can get into a close space, I found the mouse guard on EBay and not found a mouse in the hives since using them.
Good to see you back on the forum Lisa.
Cheers

1 Like

Cheers Peter. <3 It is nice to be back.

1 Like

@Peter48,
Hi Pete Those retainers on top of the mouse guard should be on the side of the mouse guard. Then you just slide the guard up or down to change.
But then you may have a specific reason for having the slides on top. Cheers, G

I got some mouse guards for a 10 frame and used tin snips to shorten the length for my 8 frame hives. Not a straight cut(actually really rough) so I opted to fit it as shown, locks the bees in better for moving the hive. but they will fit with the retainers in either position, 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other mate.
Cheers George

1 Like