New Flow Hive in Greenwich, CT

So is mine the first Flow Hive in CT?

2 Likes

Gatlift,

Great job on the Flow-hive. Looks great. When do you get your bees ?! Keep us posted. Good luck !

Gerald

Gerald,
Thanks. I installed a 5-frame nuc on May 12 and added three empty frames. After a week one of the empty frames was largely filled.

-Mike Gatliff

1 Like

Hi!

I’m in Middlesex County.
I installed my first package of my life on May 4.
Since you installed a nuc, you’ll probably be able to harvest before me.
20/20 hindsight, I now wish I had done the same!

When I was looking for local clubs via Google, the Fairfield County club kept coming up in the results. Have you contacted them and did they recommend a second brood box for winter survivability?

J (May I call you J?),

I am a complete novice as well. Installing a nuc was my serendipitous Plan C. I got distracted when my first grandchild was born, and tried to order a pack of bees when all the big boys were sold out. Plan B was to attract a wild swarm using Lemongrass oil. Then my friend’s daughter noticed a guy in Brewster, NY selling nucs for $155. Mike Bruen is a wonderful young guy who has been tending bees since he was a kid. He sells a mix of Italians, Germans, Russians and Carniolans, which he has found to be relatively resistant to mites. I asked him about the second brood box and am waiting to hear.

I joined the Southern Fairfield County Backyard Beekeepers Association. I went to one meeting in the fall. Lotsa folks willing to share info and advice. I had to miss the big spring meeting which included different seminars.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk bees.

Cordially,
Mike Gatliff
313-942-6484

Great Mike.

Good to hear from you.

Glad you got connected to a bee supplier and the club!

• John