New order on its way

I placed a new order On Monday the 8th thru the new campaign on indiegogo , got tracking numbers last night for 2 items hoping it’s the frames and the boxes not quite sure, regardless shipping and tracking has greatly improved. It seems like were getting our rhythm :slight_smile: hard thing to do starting up something like this from scratch with no background.

It appears it will be delivered tomorrow, Saturday less than a week from when I ordered it. Now I’ve got to figure out if I want to create my own NUC or by 1, and the bigger question do I do it before winter and let them build up a little bit and feed them all the way through winter or do I wait till March :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you got drones? If yes then so do your neighbours. Then go for it and make your own. This is where a polystyrene nuc box really comes into its own

I’ve got to talk to my mentor a bit. I’ve got the original NUC box my bees came in last March. It’s made of something like foamcore, plastic/insulated. I’ve got an frame feeder. I have no queen cells, and don’t know how to start one. And just concern whether or not they have enough energy to build themselves up right now. It’s been over 100° for the past week and a half there slowing down their movement quite a bit. We are due to get rain this weekend so maybe whether cycle is changing a bit.

Just do a walk away split if your original colony is strong and make sure there are lots of young nurse bees. Put a frame of food and a frame of pollen if you can. They will make emergency queen cells on both older larvae and on eggs. You need to remove the older ones so go back in 3/4 days later and remove any capped ones. Any doubt then wait till next year, put your order in now for an over wintered nuc

1 Like

Last night I got a phone call from my mentor.

He was cleaning up around several of his be yards yesterday mowing and/or weed eating. Picking up boxes and just debris around the hives. He did not have any protection on. He went to pick up some boxes that had a lid on it that did not have any frames in it, it was full of bees. Apparently a swarm had taken home in one of the empty boxes. He went back and looked in all the comb is fairly straight. So I do not have to do a split now, I am going over to his place likely this weekend and get a whole new experience :slight_smile:

We will be transferring those bees to a wooden NUC, that I can winter. Now that I’ve got my new flow frame set up I will be totally prepared for next year. This ace me 300+ dollars, very happy about all this.

More so, the new experience and learning.

I was concerned that the bees may be too aggressive and or Africanized. He indicated as soon as he put the lid down and got 5 feet away they totally stopped buzzing around him. And he was mowing up against and around the hives in the bees were not bothered.

I really love how life comes together :slight_smile: all new experiences good or bad it’s all learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant. All set for next year

Here are some fantastic photos that my mentor took last night of the swarm be found in an empty box near his other beehives

Question, though

He has never worked with foundations frames and also he’s only repaired/helped someone out repairing a hive one time with rubber bands.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated on taking this comb and placing it in my foundation this frames.

Additionally he and I were thinking of transferring them to the foundation less frames and leaving them on site in a NUC for 4 or 5 days and then moving them to my home. Not doing it all in one step any thoughts?

Marty,

Cutting the comb isn’t a major issue, my comment would be to capture as much of the brood as possible regardless of orientation. I know some people comment about orientation but I haven’t had any issues with it in this situation. Basically figure out how best to get the brood to fit inside your Langstroth frames, and then include some honey stores (if they have some). The honey stores aren’t as important if you’re feeding immediately, so don’t kill yourself trying to get every last scrap.

There are multiple ways to approach it, this frame has two separate pieces cut side by side:

This one just has a large comb cut to fill as much of the frame as possible

The rubber bands are really there just to keep the comb vertical while they build it to the edge of the frame (the bees will do this surprisingly quickly). After a few days to a week you will find the rubber bands chewed up out the front of the hive, so don’t be too concerned about leaving them in there for a short while. The rubber band size doesn’t really matter, I always used thick rubber bands for strength, but as you likely saw the rubber bands from the last rescue were provided by the other beekeeper I was with and they were thin but worked just as well as the thick bands (you don’t need much strength in the bands to keep the comb upright).

One thing that isn’t shown in the above forum is that you can use a lot of rubber bands if you have smaller sections, and they can essentially make a ‘web’ around the frame if required to hold the pieces in… the bees will quickly stitch it all together.

As for the approach for establishing them in a NUC… I personally don’t do this. I would get their final destination (full size hive) and place the recovered frames in this. I always leave the hive at the original location for ~24 hours after moving the comb into it as you will find that a lot of bees disperse because of the disturbance and you will want as many bees as you can get. This one was left in the tree for about a week after relocating the natural hive into the Langstroth box.

Using the final box you plan to move to also means they don’t have to re-establish into a third home (it’s not just establishing comb… hive temperate/airflow etc.). I am saying all of this with the luxury of having a pile of spare hives in my shed, if all you currently have is a NUC box, then by all means use that :slight_smile:

As for foundationless frames, I personally don’t really agree with them, but I know it’s popular on this forum. When recovering a hive like this I always fill the box with frames of foundation and feed the bees to encourage them to draw the frames out to give the queen somewhere to lay. I generally place the recovered frames in the middle of the box and then frames with foundation on either side. In the below photo we used a NUC divider (essentially a follower board) to keep the hive small initially because we aren’t quite into Spring where I am)

I guess my last tip would be to try and locate the queen as early as possible in the process and get her on one of the relocated frames in the box as this will assist in encouraging the other bees into the box while you work on the comb.

If anyone reading this hasn’t seen the bee photograph thread link, the photos are from here:
http://www.canberrabees.com/bee-rescue/

2 Likes

thank you for the step by step, it really helps. As I process this over the next few days I’m sure I will have clarification questions. Raining here in Dallas, We’re finally getting the rain that Louisiana got. It wasn’t supposed to dump this much rain in Louisiana as it did. It was supposed to move a little west. It finally did and we’re getting some much-needed rain and cooler temperatures. So it will be after it stops raining before I do anything with the hive. They’re not going anywhere they chose that home and they’re comfortable right now so I’ll do it when I’m good and ready. Which will likely be in about six days or so looking at the weather right now.

I agree with everything @RBK wrote. When I have rubber-banded, I move them the same day. Why disrupt them twice? Others I have helped have waited a day or three, but sometimes the bees decide to abscond in the meantime, so I think same day is better. Number 33 rubber bands from Staples work, or any band that holds the wax well and is about 1/8" wide unstretched. That gives the bees a few days to chew on it before the wax is free… :wink: