Recycled Hardwood Nuc Box

Thought I’d share my first attempt at building a nucbox made with old fence pickets:

It’s abit rough around the edges but hopefully it’ll still do the job! :grinning:

I’d been meaning to try build one for ages and ironically a tree fell on this wooden fence a while ago and broke it into pieces which happened to be perfect for my project.

Sadly these 30 year old pickets were most likely destined to be dumped or burned.

The wood is an Australian hardwood named Jarrah. It’s endemic and grows locally here in Western Australia and is famous for it’s deep rich red-brown hues.

From what I’ve gathered the thicker the timber the better for insulation. Hardwood also has a lower R-value than softwoods, though it’s more durable.

Fun facts:

• Total cost of build $5.45
  • Nucbox alone weighs 9.5kg empty :flushed:
  • The only powered tool I used was a cordless drill.
  • If I were to do it again I would make a 6 frame because of less cuts needed and probably used tung oil instead of a satin clear coat.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and thanks for reading!

3 Likes

2022-02-08_152750

Yes, yes, I know! “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it catch fish.” :rofl:

4 Likes

Haha nice pick up @ABB, I figured a structual engineer would chime in :wink:

Did you know you can get 8x40mm Dynabolts at Bunnings for 61c each?!

Absolute bargain! I don’t know if you know how they work or have ever installed them but it’s fairly simple:

1. Drill or core a hole to the recommended diameter and depth. Clean the hole thoroughly with a hole cleaning brush. Remove the debris with a hand pump, compressed air, or vacuum.

2. Insert the DynaBolt through the fixture and drive with a hammer until the washer contacts the fixture.

3. Tighten the DynaBolt allowing the sleeve to twist and pull down the fixture firmly onto the substrate. For optimum performance, a torque wrench should be used.

You can find all the load ratings and specs via online too!

It’s great because the way I’ve designed it, I’ve used flat bar flush with the stand and the nuts are hidden unless you look down into my stand feet channels :slight_smile:

Also just so you know… Horses are actually herbivores!

1 Like