Removing veil when washing beekeeping suit

Hi,
I am needing to wash my flow hive suit for the first time however I cannot see how to removed the connected hood. I have the triple layer mesh suit. I’ve attempted to locate instructions however have had no luck. Thanks in advance

1 Like

Any ideas @Freebee2? Or is the hood washable on a delicate cycle? :thinking:

2 Likes

I have washed my suit about a dozen times now with the veil still attached with no issues, They can be un-zipped but is very frustrating to work out how to get it back on. I wash it in my front loader on its own.
Cheers

2 Likes

I would recommend hand washing, they are great suits and worth caring for properly. I ignored the instructions and machine washed and consequently tore mine, and then further ignored my common sense and wore it anyway - earning my only ever warning sting from the poor lass who got caught inside! Lesson learned…

1 Like

Hi Belinda,

To remove the hood, use the large zip pull to take it all around the hood & it will come off. Don’t force it… it should come off readily.

If you have any trouble feel free to shoot me through a PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried that, however it wouldn’t come off, hence my forum question. Is there a video showing this? The ends of the zipper don’t seem conducive to seat exit of hood.

Yes I may just hand wash it I think. Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks Peter for your suggestions. The zipper did look tricky, and I was worried about not getting it back on again. The zipper on the suit isn’t like a hoodie zipper that you can open easily.

1 Like

Thje first time I washed mine I took the hood off but it was really frustrating trying to get it right again, since then there is no way I will remove it. I go all the zips up and machine wash it and had no issues. I do wash it on its own.
Cheers

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the trouble with removing the hood. I’m trying to find out if there is a video demonstration and will get back to you ASAP. I’m so pleased you’ve decided to hand wash - I’m a bit terrible with clothing care instructions myself, but the suits really are worth looking after properly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Peter. Yes I might put it in my front loader on a gentle wash with the hood attached, and hang it to dry. It’s amazing how dirty those suits get!!

1 Like

I’m pleased to hear yours has survived the machine okay Peter! Have you got the three layer mesh or the organic cotton? My old suit was one of the original batch organic cotton, and my old machine stuffed it :frowning:

1 Like

Hand wash may be a bit tricky for me as I have arthritis in my left hand, so I’m going to give the gentle cycles on the front loader a go.

1 Like

Okay, good luck :slight_smile: (hopefully your machine is a little more gentle than my old beast)

1 Like

I just washed my suit (for the first time). Mine is not the Flow brand, but it is top of the line, three layer suit.

The zippers are YKK brass and easy to take the hood off. My wife insisted it will be ok if we wash it with cold water on a short gentle cycle, and indeed it was.

I forgot it was white. :slight_smile:

If you can’t take off the hood, probably it will be ok.

3 Likes

I have a mesh Flow suit, a cotton one a another two mesh suits from another manufacturer. Yes 4 suits, I’m in one every day either at my apiary or away helping others. I have been machine washing them since as far back as I can remember and had no problems with them lasting. My oldest one now I guess I have had a couple of hundred days use, the cotton one, and they go in the wash after a few days use, they begin to smell from perspiration after a couple of days in my climate.

2 Likes

That’s great to know Peter, thanks

1 Like

I machined washed my cotton jacket, veil and all. Front loader, gentle wash.
The veil mesh didn’t fare too well, although no holes I can see wear points where it looks like it folded on itself and creased.
The elastic waist and wrists are all stretched now too and require replacing.
It is clean though.

2 Likes

Was it hot or cold wash? You have to avoid hot.

1 Like

Not sure, I’d have thought the gentle cycle wouldn’t have been too hot but maybe it was, that’d explain the elastic, maybe both… :thinking: Good point.

1 Like