Show a pic of your setup

Hello Paras I also find it difficult to take pics while gloved up and on the job. I intend to set up a camera on my tripod and with a fixed camera.

1 Like

On an Android phone you can simply say ā€œsmileā€ and it will take the photoā€¦ Go to the settings in the camera app on your phoneā€¦ You could also use the Google Assistant to take a photo based on a voice command. All you need to do is ensure your screen stays on long enough between photos so it doesnā€™t lock.

Similar functionality would surely exist on the iPhoneā€¦

2 Likes

This can be quite funny. Imagine working on the hive with the camera set up. A neighbour looks over the fence and hears you saying ā€˜Smileā€™ as if you are expecting the bees to get into the selfie mood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great tip SnowflakeHoney thankyou. I wonder what the bees will do you say ā€œcheeseā€ . Ha ha

Enjoy!!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your apiary

1 Like

You welcome @AdamMaskew

Well, hopefully there is some joy for some Christmas decorating? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Aww sweet! Are any of these your hives @Tim_Purdie or are they from the internet?

100% mine, I have 19 in total, 6 are flow hives, and I am hosting a friends top bar and lang, so 21 total.

2 Likes

Wow theyā€™re adorable - I love the time and creativity thatā€™s gone into these. Itā€™s proper old school Christmas spirit, the kind I get nostalgic for and isnā€™t always found readily now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi here is my newbee setup. I only picked up the nuc yesterday afternoon. Yes it has a red roof, but I have built a shade over it to keep the heat of the day off the hive, a more fixed cover will be built as soon as possible with a steel box piping frame work using the existing canvas as in the photo, but with the end closest to me fixed to a similar length pvc pipe, that will allow me to roll the canvas up on sunny winter days, night time temps as low as -5C, but to also roll it back out on wet days too. Yes the roof isnā€™t sitting down flat, as I have a jar of sugar syrup under it thatā€™s too tall, that is over the breath hole in the timber lid that usually sits on top of flowhive. Oh the shed that the canvas is textscrewed to belongs to our neighbour, but that wall of the shed is sticking out onto our block, thatā€™s why I intend making the (in the future) changes, as said neighbour can beeā€‹:rofl::rofl: a bit titchie :japanese_ogre: at times. The bees this morning are already circulating around their new domain, a Mellaluca tree is on the entrance side of the hive, and it too is providing shade, and a bonus is, that it has just started flowering. There is a water container under the tea tree.

2 Likes

I can tell you@Freebee2, I have spent TOO much money to throw it all away (Iā€™m 1/4 ScottishšŸ˜‰). I am learning so much about what I have got myself into, yes that also includes getting stung which picking up my nuc yesterday afternoon (my fault, didnā€™t put my bee suit on). Up to buying my flow hive I (somehow) thought that the flow hive system didnā€™t require direct contact with the bees in the hive. I donā€™t know how I came to that conclusion, but of boy I sure know now how WRONG I was. BUT now that the (honey) money has been spent, itā€™s full steam ahead. I have already been out to where my flow hive 3 times today (by midday), checking on my children, once was to take a photo of the hive and itā€™s setup to post here. They are busy doing their orientation dance.
Late addition, it is now a bit over a day since my bees arrived to their new residence, and they seem to have settled into their brand new flow hive. I ended up having a look at the hive (externally) on 6 occasions, on several of those occasions I just only about 8ft from the entrance for up on 15mins each time, the bees didnā€™t seem be worried at all about me being so close. By middle of the day, they even seemed to have started heading off to collect their goodies, though some seem to be still getting their nav system locked in, maybe they were young bees. I have setup a digital temp gauge to keep an eye on how the air temp was going. The bees seem to have also, consumed some of the sugar syrup, and I hope that it helps quicken up their foraging.

1 Like

@Crisb53, I have just recently bought a new flowhive2, and there is absolutely no sideways movement of the honey flow frames, as the saying goes ā€œas snug as a bug in a rugā€, there is also a screw in one end of each of those frames, that are adjustable to assure that there is no movement long ways either. So I think that the problem that you and others have had in the past has been fixed.

1 Like

Hope everyoneā€™s bees are keeping well!

Here is a pic of new screen in front of my 2 hives. The hive has been moved to a high traffic area (I like to see what they are up to). and this helps to push their flight path up.

7 Likes

That is gorgeous, well done! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You have a beautiful garden! Iā€™m also just getting started, but youā€™re a step or two ahead of me. I have a question about the flight path. Oh ā€“ I see someone already brought that up. Nevermind!

Our set up here is Canberra Australia.

2 Likes

I like the natural stain and darker roof that matches the corner joints. I was thinking about doing the same to match my cedar shed. Seeing yours has made up my mind! If I was a bee, thatā€™s where Iā€™d want to bee!

2 Likes

Hope everyone is staying warm!

6 Likes