Show a pic of your setup

Out Apiary Photie

6 Likes

Here is an updated pic of my apiary. The one of the right is booming and has the flow frames 10-15% sealed up but now honey yet. The one hive on the left on the stand requeened a month ago and isn’t quite ready for a second box but getting close. The middle one I stole a frame of capped brood to give to the one that lost their queen to keep the population up which slowed them a bit. The far left hive on bricks is empty. I just keep it handy incase a swarm occurs. The honey is still coming in but has slowed since we have gotten dry. Should pick up once we get some rain and my bridsfoot and clover hay field blooms.

10 Likes

This is July UK Cornwall with Cornish Black Bees.

7 Likes

Try using diatamaceous earth under and around the hive stand. It works well for hive beetles too.

1 Like

4 Likes

Here is my set up. I made hive furniture by modifying 10 frame patterns. The Honey Run Apiaries ventilation/insulation box is a multi-purpose favorite. Works great with the viewing box as a top feeding station. Will insert ridged insulation this winter. The multi-functional Bee Source slatted bottom rack stopped bearding and is an all-time favorite best explained on honeybeesuite.com. The YouTube Bee Vlog #159 portable bench is an item I can not live without. Look forward to adding the flow frames next spring.

8 Likes

Your pics don’t seem to be showing.

I’m lucky to get a picture posted;) I don’t know how I did it. I’m trying to post a more recent and not having any luck.

5 Likes

I have three hives. One flow hive. Two other hives that are standard langstroth. Plan to convert those two. Here is my picture from behind one of the standard hives. It’s been quite an experience. The flow hive is in the middle that’s only one box high. The other two are two boxes now.

6 Likes

Attempt two at the flow super, this time with melted wax applied.

6 Likes

My flow hive setup. Home made feeders have been in middle supers for overwintering, they will come out soon and will be replaced by frames then looking at putting the flo frame supers on top when ready (Hopefully all this upcoming season?)

9 Likes

if feeders in middle whats in top supers?

What a great name for a beekeeper @phil_mccomb! Phil McComb = Fill my comb… :smile:

Love it!!! :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

Nothing yet…

There’s some very nice set ups in this post. I would like to add mine. I have put the flow hive together and made a good solid stand for it. Its ready now for spring bees. I also need a place for it as my back yard has the maximum number of hives allowed.

11 Likes

I have been inspired by everyone on here. Also really enjoy making my be yard a very special place. I’ve read many times that watching an aquarium, one can see someone’s heart rate lower. I believe that’s also the case here with watching the bees come and go. So making this little sanctuary as well as helping maintain a good environment. Thank you for all the postings of everything that’s been done here are a few photos of my set up and progress.

The grapevine in the background I planted last spring, it has done amazingly well. Supports on the side of the house just could not supported any longer so I built an archway Arbor/trellis. Really dressing up the space

And then after getting stung Sunday trimming and mowing around the hive I started looking online at your photos again that everyone is posted and decided to put down some gravel. I put down some base material 1st that slightly porous that will allow water to pass through and in gravel on top with edging

The single box is also me getting ready to place a swarm my mentor found, a couple weeks ago we placed it in a NUC with rubber bands. Did I’ve inspection a few days ago of it and they’ve attached it to the frame now wanting them to get a little bit more settled before moving it to its new location.

9 Likes

What kind of grapes are you growing Marty? I miss the Concord grapes that my grandparents used to grow at their place.

1 Like

LOL, a plant that was on sale at Calloways, LOL sorry, I liked the idea and $5 and needed something on this side of the house. Was not expecting it to do as well as it is doing. I LOVE IT.

2 Likes

Well, a nice bonus for you - and your trellis is lovely :wink:

1 Like