South Australian Flowbees

I have four flow hives- and my brother and mother another one each. All of them are running off one brood box- except for my long hive which is around a brood and a half. there is absolutely no problem running a flow hive in Adelaide off of a single brood box. All our hives are wintering well- and in fact the bees are out almost every day bringing in loads of pollen. This year we also left our flow frames on over winter and so far this seems to have been no problem- though you do need to keep an eye on ventilation (coreflute in bottom slot and/or top ventilation of some sort).

This season I plan to experiment with adding an ideal half brood box to run a brood and a half on a few hives to see if itā€™s more productive.

You can read about my mothers flow hive at Semaphore here:

1 Like

I bet it will be. Our double brood hives were almost scarily strong this season. Nice situation to be in if we lose a hive over winter, as we can probably get a split going long before we could get a package or a nucleus. If we donā€™t lose any hives, it would be nice to help pay for our hobby by selling a nucleus. :smile:

it would be nice to help pay for our hobby by selling a nucleus

@Dawn_SD thatā€™s my thinking and why Iā€™m considering a second deep for my brood (in Perth, not Adelaide) this coming season.

2 Likes

Where did the time go?!! Itā€™s been a couple of years since I posted here! Now I have a couple of flow hives that produced well over the spring/summer season of Oct 2016-May2017. Iā€™ve built over 2 dozen flow hives now and love the way the bees take to them when the hives are prepared right. I also manage about 25 flow hives for a couple of clients nearby. Iā€™m working on a honey collection kit that makes harvesting honey in bulk simple, easy, clean and fast. if youā€™re interested in checking out the honey collection kit message me. If you want a hand with anything bee/flow related message me, cheers.

1 Like

You have come a long way Mick, well doneā€¦ love to see some pics of your honey collection kit. How does it work? I only have one Flow hive (an adapted 10 frame hive) but have a couple of dozen hives spread around Sydney. Always interested in the engenuity of beekeepers.

1 Like

Hi There, I am new to the bee thing and have ordered a flow hive2 set up . I would be keen to get a nucleus from you when I have my hive. I am in Mc Laren Vale
Mark

1 Like

Browsing through another forum I found this

https://www.pir.sa.gov.au/biosecurity/animal_health/bees/hive_management

was causing a bit of debate.
What are your thoughts on this @Semaphore?

Hello there Skeg,
sorry Iā€™ve lost track of this old thread- and not sure what part of that pirsa document interests you?

Hi mate, this,

The requirement of sending in hive records annually specifically.

Good practice, but only applies to SA beekeepers.

I used the blank form from the Pirsa link and copied it into the adobe fill and sign app. Put in the minimum of what they wanted (2 inspectation date details and details of hive equipment purchases and movements) then attached it and the renewal to an email. For this year I will open a new form and update it as needed. Wasnā€™t too painful though I had put it off cause I thought it would be.