Standard size of Langstroth Frames UK

Quick question “Langstroth / 14*12” is this the standard size of Langstroth frames that will fit my Flow Hive 2 Brood box, the below is from a UK supplier

Nucleus

5 Frames
Buckfast / Yorkshire Queen of your choice
Transpot Box included
Pick up only from Wakefield, Yorkshire
£180 - Langstroth / 14*12
Deposit Required £50

Key word is Langstroth. It’s standard.
I guess he provided size for beekeepers who run other hives.
Wow, nucs aren’t cheap up your way.

Unfortunately while all Langs are standard, some langs are more standard than others. :confused::upside_down_face::confused:

The Flow hive is based on Australian Langstroth.

2 Likes

Could some one put the exact measurements of the frames used on the flow hive brood box?

Oh Busso. This info will get me bad dreams.

The normal langstroth frames I ordered from other Australian places did fit the Aussie standard flow brood box.
Aren’t even the frames an international Lang size? The US people never mentioned they didn’t fit.

1 Like

Langstroth is the correct size for your Flow hive. The price list is confusing, as Langstroth and 14*12 are not the same size of frame.

14*12" is a British National hive frame size - extra deep frames used for brood, and it will not fit, as the Flow hive is designed to take frames which are about 9 1/8" deep.

As @busso says, the US is much sloppier than the UK in hive dimensions, but any Langstroth deep frame will fit your Flow brood box. The Langstroth variants only differ by a few millimeters, and there is enough tolerance inside the hive boxes that the exact dimensions really don’t matter, as long as you have Langstroth deep frames in your nucleus. :wink:

1 Like

There was a lot of discussion by the first recipients of Flow hives in US with difficulty in matching US Langs to the Flow. Especially those modifying to accept the Flow frames. I can’t remember anything really unsolvable.

Hi @busso, what a tangled web we weave with these “simple” discussions.

The main problem is that hive builders in the US do not have an engineering mentality. Tolerances are wide. Totally unacceptable, I know, but true. It just has to work, it doesn’t have to be a perfect fit. That disappointed me hugely when I built my first US hives from flat-packed parts. I just had to school myself into the thinking that these are “agricultural” specs, not fine furniture. I still have trouble accepting that, but I am working on it. :blush:

Langstroth hives in the 8 frame size can be anywhere from 13.5" to 14" wide in the narrow dimension of the boxes. If you buy from 2 different suppliers, one could be cutting to 13.5" and the other to 14". Most cut at the smaller end of the range, because it uses slightly less wood. Flow decided to go with 14".

So If I mix boxes from Flow and others, I may have a 1/8 to 1/4" overhang on each side of the boxes. It doesn’t matter. They still seal well enough for the bees. They look fine from 20 feet away. But in my head, I know they are not aligned. That is my problem. OCD all the way. I have to learn to live with it, but thankfully the bees don’t care. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thinking:

1 Like

I quickly came to the realization that bee hives are “agricultural specs”, not fine furniture. Bees do a wonderful job with propolis,… in most cases.

1 Like

Then you are much smarter than me, or you have a great psychotherapist, and I don’t. :smile: Great fun, thank you Jeff. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Dawn, I started off getting everything perfect. The lids had to be a close fit, everything had to match up perfectly. As my beekeeping evolved, the lids no longer had to fit perfectly, nor did they have to be perfectly square. It sounds a bit rough, but near enough is good enough.

I’m more of a diy psychotherapist. I must have saved thousands over the years.

1 Like

Thanks so much that was a good read and now I feel comfortable in the frame size

1 Like