What size frames for the brood box on a complete Flow hive?

Hi…do you know the frame size needed for the brood box on the complete Flow hive yet? I want to start a nuc but unless I know the broodbox frame size…it will be awkward swopping over when it arrives. So I want to buy the right size brood box and frames to start with. Any help in this?

Standard Langstroth deeps (full size)

Great …thank you. I have ordered a standard deep nuc. Hope to install some bees soon.

1 Like

Here’s the thing in the US (and maybe elsewhere too) - depending on the manufacturer, the Lang sizes differ slightly, so expect having to make minor modifications to fit. I’m only setting everything up after the actual Flows arrive and I know what I have. Of course, there is also the advantage of these arriving in winter, leaving lots of time to sort it all out. This includes my swarm capture traps.

3 Likes

Here is some further information from the Honeyflow Website FAQs - http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/what-are-the-dimensions-of-the-flow-frames/p/70

What are the dimensions of the Flow Frames?
(Frequently Asked Questions)

The Flow™ Frames are designed to fit a standard Langstroth deep box. The Flow™ boxes will have the same measurements to the Langstroth deep (8 or 10 frame boxes).

The height of the Flow™ frame is 240mm; this perfectly fits a Langstroth deep box.

The width of the clear fame ends is set to 50mm. The frames are wider which means they hold more honey and the deeper cells discourage the queen from laying should you choose to experiment with no excluder.

A standard langstroth 8 frame deep fits 6 Flow™ frames. A standard Langstroth 10 frame deep fits 7 flow frames. A UK National fits 8 shorter Flow™ frames however the depth of the UK National would need to be modified.

The length of the frame is adjustable. We will be posting them out at the standard Langstroth frame length of 480mm. You can however change their length in increments of 12mm by removing some of the frame parts. This means you can adapt the length of the frames to many different sized hives. Or if you want to get really creative you could make a 2m long frame to go in a wall cavity or make a short frame to insert into a hollow tree hive…