Uncapped cells and Possible Supersedure cluster?

Newbee here. :hugs: Inspected the hive yesterday and I’ve been trying to identify what’s going on here (see photos). I’m seeing partially open/uncapped brood, but doesn’t look to be bald brood. There’s also a cluster on the face of the frame which looks to be a combination of open supersedure cells and capped drone cells, but the open cells don’t seem to be in the correct orientation. Something seems amiss and everything i’ve looked up is not quite matching this scenario. Mite count was low 2 weeks ago. Does this look to be SHB? moths? … Or is nothing wrong and I have a case of newbeekeeper jitters.

I’m thinking that those uncapped cells are drone cells. It would be good to see a photo of the cells in relation to how the sit on the frame. For example: if someone was holding the frame, the same way it sits in the hive.

1 Like

Thank you, Jeff! That is helpful. Here’s the zoomed out image. I hope this is more clear.

Regarding the uncapped cells (top 2 images): In previous hive inspections, I never noticed scraped/partially open cells where I can see the larvae beneath. Do you happen to know if this is normal?

1 Like

When the edges are smooth, as in your photo, it is normal. It just means that the bees haven’t finished capping yet. If it is ragged and uneven with a larva underneath, it means that the nurse bees don’t like something about that larva, and they will be getting rid of it soon. :wink:

2 Likes

Great. Thank you, Dawn!

1 Like

I agree with @Dawn_SD 's reply. In relation to queen cells: they will always be pointing downwards.

2 Likes