Up and rearing to go!

I’d say a blow torch or a small charcoal fire would be best given those options. Depending how much you have to brand the fire will likely be easier because you can just rest the brand in it while you arrange things and it will be ready to go when you are.

That is what I thought - my son can be a pyromaniac and wants a big fire :rolleyes:

Maybe pick up a small electric hot plate? I see them at thrift stores all the time. That will do the trick.

You can use a fire but it gets you brand kind of dirty.

1 Like

That’s why I suggested charcoal fire, it burns much hotter and typically much cleaner so there shouldn’t be so much issue with soot/carbon. But it would still have more potential for that then an electric heat source.

1 Like

Mann Lake have let me down big time - No Screened Verroa bottom board for 2-3 weeks!!!

So I ordered a Langstroth Snelgrove Board from Thornes to use in the mean time, I would have had to get one at some stage but was not planning on it just yet.

@DextersShed I ordered some wired wax as well.

When I get my bottom board I’m going to get very heavy with Mann Lakes and they can have their crappy wax back
!

2 Likes

Thornes have come through - Just made a Snelgrove sending out for Monday delivery!

Snelgrove entrance until the screened bottom board arrives. Good job I don’t have bees yet

Also put some 1:1 Sugar syrup as an extra enticement and more Lemon grass.

There is a swarm of bees out there missing out on a good home!

it is beside in a frame feeder

All that will do is attract robbers.
The best swarm lure is an old EMPTY brood comb.

1 Like

@dangerous trouble is I don’t have any old comb

************ Good lad :smile:

Hi, I use 2 methods, #1 if the frames are wired, I cut them from the back side of the comb (the least attractive side) & take them out. With the wires coming out to one side & still attached to that side, I place the frame on the table with the good side up, cut around the frame, remove the frame & mires, then proceed to cut the desired sizes. The other method is to place a completely empty frame with a little strip of wax at the top between 2 frames of straight fully capped honey. Most times they’ll do a beautiful job, be sure to do that during a honey flow. The second method is a good way to do a crush & strain.

Just finished painting all the exposed wood with Wood Oil - So much easier than Paint! Washes off in Soapy water not White Spirit/Turps

I get my new Poly Langstroth on Monday but I will be away working for another 10 days so they will have to wait.

I was not supposed to be living in again until September but who am I to turn away work!! Hives don’t pay for themselves… well not straight away… give me a couple of years.

Be interesting how long it will take me to break even

1 Like

You’re So Sweet to me Stephen!!!

Just doing a Video of my Starter Stips

1 Like

Yes…the only way to make a small fortune from bees is to start off with a large one.

3 Likes

You are crackin us up here Vallie. Bees and Boats. Holes you throw money into ; -)

The way I am looking at it is, I don’t expect my dog to pay for himself. If I just get delicious honey for the table, and get to expose my daughters to a whole new world they never would have seen then I count it as being worth everything I put into it.

2 Likes