This is my first post here and I have been keeping bees for 9 months.
I live in S/E Melbourne and also have a property with river frontage in the Riverena NSW. I have 1 hive here and 3 hives up in NSW. All have flow supers ranging from 3 to 7 flow frames retro-fitted into them (all 10 frame deeps).
My first 2 hives were flat packed NZ pine which I assembled and painted. However I wanted a nicer looking hive for my “home hive” so while doing a cut out from a friend’s old farm shed, I salvaged some timber from inside it. I got some nice 300mm x 25mm nice flat mountain ash boards from an broken old antique desk and one 2.73M length of 340mm x 25mm Baltic Pine which was unscrewed from an antique table tennis table (the rest of the boards had bad borer damage).
I made 2 supers out of these and treated them with Tung Oil and Citric Turpentine. I made a roof from some salvaged Western Red Cedar weatherboard off cuts found dumped on the side of the road with Jarah gables and ridge timber. The base was made from the Mountain Ash boards (biscuit jointed) with cut down Red Gum from a 80YO post and Jarah. I will try to attach some pics. I have done 3 cut outs and caught 2 swarms in my first swarm trap also re homed 2 escaped swarms and given away a few of those. If anyone is interested I can write more on my bees.