WASPS! What to do?

Get a waspbane don’t put those Amazon ones anywhere near the hives. Make sure you empty them every day or two

ok will do - i haven’t put them near the hives, will get wasp bane for that then,t hank you. x

To All…Ok, I am tired of doing searches and figured I would ask…why can’t I buy wasp bane in the US? If it’s is avaliable in the US where can I buy it?

email them at info@waspbane.com ?

Thanks @Dee,

I did send off an email to the address you gave me to find out why i couldn’t find Waspbane in the US. They said that Waspbane is designed to only work on Vespine wasps not Polistes wasps. Northern Europe is populated by Vespine wasps.

K26kv

Ah…I didn’t now that.
Have you seen a picture of one of the traps?
You might be able to make something similar. You need cone escapes into your vapour chamber …I’m sure you can get them from your regular beekeeping kit supplier to superglue into a bottle then make sure you have a separate bait chamber with your favourite bait.

Here in New Zealand, I’ve had great success with wasp traps baited with a mix of beer and jam. Haven’t had any bees go for this bait.

Sorry, coming in on this thread late.

U.S. Wasp and yellow jackets are my biggest headache.
Glad they stop flying when temperature drops below 50ºF.

On and off from June - September, I reduced the entrance and attached my robber screen. I didn’t know what else to do. At least it slowed them down and gave the girls and enclosed space outside the hive to fight. May need to leave it on through October, because we haven’t yet dropped below 50ºF consistently and a few are still entering the hive through my reduced mouse guard.

Hung a trap 50 ft from hive, but only trapped a handful. Will try beer and jam next year. Thanks for the tip.

I also use an electric fly swatter just about everyday around the hive. Will never accidentally zap another honeybee after a guard bee tagged me on the nose.

Found and used this recipe on at least 100 wasp nests within 10-50 ft from the hive. Oh, there are more, but unreachable. Made several batches and I’d say it worked better than the canned spray. Hopeful it will discourage future colonies.

Wasp Spray:
1/4 - 1/2 cup dish soap
20 drops spearmint essential oil
spray bottle filled with water