Wax Dipping FH 2 Araucaria - Splitting Issues?

Hello,
I’ve got a brand new FH 2 Araucaria and am looking into wax dipping the woodenware. I found a guy who’s dipped a few Flow Hives, but he warned me that they can split around the sight windows. Mainly because this is where 2 pieces were glued together. He dips at 150-160 deg C.

I looked at my pieces and couldn’t find any seams… Has anyone encountered any splitting issues when dipping their Araucaria boxes? Were older designs made of glued pieces?

Thanks,
Andy

1 Like

The boxes should be assembled prior to dipping (but I wouldn’t have the any plastic pieces on there) so it shouldn’t split too bad. A little crack won’t be more than a cosmetic issue and even if it goes all the way through, the bees will seal it up from the inside.

2 Likes

Hey Andy,
I’ve dipped quite a few Flow hives including the FH2. I have noticed on some the join to which you refer, though it hasn’t caused an issue. I only dip fully assembled equipment with plastic bits removed at 145°-155° for 10minutes.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi @chau06 @aussiemike - thanks for the info. I’m thinking that since my frames don’t have such joint, I should be ok.
Thanks again!

Andy

Hi Andy,
We recommend a couple of coats of decent outdoor paint for our Araucaria hives, but would love to hear how your wax dipped ones go over time.
Looking forward to updates :slight_smile:

1 Like