What kind of bees do you have in Australia?

Hi, I just received my hive and showed it to a local beekeeper. He asked me to ask you what is the scientific name of the bees you usually breed in Australia.

He actually was quite sceptical about my flow hive :unamused: , saying that our honey here in France is much too thick to easily just flow - we will check this in Summer!

His suspicion is that Australian beekeepers feed their bees with a LOT of sugar syrup, thus making local honey much more liquid than ours…

Thanks for your comments.

The Australians mostly use Apis mellifera, just like Europe and the US. The Flow hive was developed to use with any Apis mellifera strain.

Australian honey is no different from anywhere else - not any more liquid. Australians are no more guilty of using sugar syrup than any other nationality! :wink:

I think you are hearing the same skepticism that all Flow hive owners face all over the world. This is a new invention, and traditional beekeepers don’t trust it. Fine. Let’s wait and see. I think it will work just fine in France for any honey which doesn’t crystallize rapidly (like Oil Seed Rape) or which isn’t thixotropic (like heather flower honey).

Moi j’adore miel de lavande, et chaque année, j’achète une boite en Provence (a Mougins). Je crois que ce miel va marcher bien avec la ruche Flow. Seulement mon avis. :smile:

1 Like

I have the Italian Apis mellifera breed.

I would think that most Australian beekeepers do very little feeding. Particularly where the bulk of honey is produced. This is because there very few places where temperatures remain below freezing day or night for more than a day or so. Also because of the mild Winters there are a lot of native flora flowering during Winter. I live in South West Australia and this area has lots of Winter flowering natives. Not enough to make excess honey but enough for the bees to forage 3 or 4 days a week (at very worst) to maintain honey levels.
Large areas of Australia, particularly in Queensland and NSW have a Winter climate which a lot of countries would call Summer.

Again, I would think Australia feeds it’s bees less than else where.

4 Likes

Like they say, " Ignorance is bliss ! " if you don’t know something you don’t care and make foolish statement. I would place this fellow in that legend !

2 Likes

The OP was asking about bees in Australia and whether Australians fed their bees a lot.
What you say is interesting but of no help to the OP.

1 Like

Do you like fishing jape?

Here in the West I have only seen and heard of Italian and swarm mongrel queens in my short time As a bee scholar. :wink:
If anyone has other breeds here in the West (Oz that is) surprise me.

Mind you I am frequently wrong but let’s first examine the facts.

2 Likes

Yes my friend, I agree with what you say about the hive, although in 4 months we will know the truth!

Thank you for the information you gave me, I will share this with my local beekeeper (j’habite en Bourgogne / Burgundy, près d’Autun: si jamais tu passes par ici, tu es le bienvenu!).

Thank you Busso, I get your point!

I have never heard of Australian beekeepers feeding their bees, maybe during winter in the southern states. Byron Bay in N.S.W. is sub-tropical I believe. Honey (unless it’s Jellybush) will flow fairly easy there, unless it’s winter time. You probably wouldn’t want to wait till winter to harvest anyway.

My bees (I’m in Queensland Au.) started off to be Italian, now they’re just mongrel bred.

Je crois qu’il ne veut pas écouter! :smile:

Tres gentil, merci! Nous avons un très petit appartement a Mougins-le-Haut, près de Cannes. Nous visitons la France trois fois chaque année - c’est géniale!

I am happy that you are trying the Flow hive and can teach French beekeepers about your experience soon.

Wilma agrees with you when she gets stung! I have heard her (on a video) call a bee a “little mongrel”… :smile:

2 Likes

The two most common breeds in Australia are Italian and Caucasion. There are Carniolan however they are not so popular, the bee breeders leans towards the needs of the commercial apiarist over backyard beekeepers. Russian stock was brought in to the country some years back but they haven’t taken off as their own breed. There is lots of genetic mixing, nothing wrong with that.
My favourite has to be the dark caucasions, I enjoy their docile nature and ability to winter well although they are slower to build up in spring, but they always produce a box of honey over winter whilst the Italians go through nearly all their stores.

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/bee-species-a-list/1569

Careful about that glass beehive… Not much worse than Finland. 2013 for instance; USA had 29% loss. Finland had 19% loss.

http://operaresearch.eu/files/repository/20130122162456_BEEHEALTHINEUROPE-Facts&Figures2013.pdf

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/beelosses/

2 Likes