Bee Photographs

Joan? Where is the Arc? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No problem, humming birds have gone west.

@Dawn_SD, silly you. Arc is not a thing. Nor is it a place. There were no apostrophes used in 15th century French so the Dā€™ is deceptiveā€¦

Joanā€™s (Jeanneā€™s) last name was simply Darc.

Not down here :slight_smile: Thereā€™s still a few hanging around.

Dā€™accord cheri. Je suis en France en ce moment, alors jā€™ai cru que dā€™Arc cā€™Ć©tait une ville ou quelque chose comme ca! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you! Have fun :slightly_smiling_face:

All of your humming birds is for me!!! :smiling_imp:

OK, well maybe not. But we have them year round in San Diego, and they often fly up to us in the garden, as if to say ā€œwho the frack are you, you think you own this place???ā€

Very funny, lively, talented creatures. Just glad they donā€™t eat bees. The bees wouldnā€™t have a chanceā€¦ :astonished:

just brought home a NUC, This is my second hive. this is a swarm my mentor and I placed in this box a few weeks ago. I wanted them to settle in the box before moving them.

just a small slow motion video

2 Likes

There are lots of these little native guys around at the moment. Love the pink eyes.

1 Like

5 Likes

Wow!!! Iā€™ve seen some large ones in our yard but that one looks gigantic, Ed!

Thatā€™s actually the first time Iā€™ve seen male and female together. Theyā€™re probably going to mate and then sheā€™ll have him for dinner .

2 Likes

Hahaha cute :slight_smile: Looks like a good idea for a bee feeder

Isnā€™t that the same thing?

There are 2 different mantisā€™s there. The brown one is male and the all green larger one is female. She will eat his head during mating and theyā€™ll continue to mate even though heā€™s headless. Girlā€™s gotta eat I suppose.

mate/have him for dinner = same thing :smiling_imp:
Sorry just making a little lewd insect humor

2 Likes

Some humans feel that way about their ex-partnersā€¦ :imp:

1 Like

Upon inspecting the hive today one frame of brood was damaged while removing it from the brood box for a look-and-see. In the photo you can see the drone cells that were damaged.

And if you were wondering how I managed to damage the frame (it was stuck)ā€¦

Two weeks ago none of the flow frames had any honey (Spring is belatedly arriving here in Oz). Now, all but one of the flow frames have honey to some degreeā€¦ :smiley:

7 Likes

So this is where I typically take my dog for a walkā€¦

Last year I knew for certain of at least one feral hive in the bush where we walk (I was stung right on the bridge of my noseā€¦).This next pic is the tree the feral hive lives in. They were there last summer, made it through winter, and are once again busy. I donā€™t get any closer than about 3-5m (10-15ft) to this hive as the bees truly are feral and on the aggressive side of polite.

On our walk today we came across two docile swarms. They certainly werenā€™t there yesterday and one of them had formed in the time we initially walked past and then looped back.

and

My bees havenā€™t swarmed, and they seem far too docile to be a swarm from the hive in the first pic.

On a side note, Iā€™ve noticed that the activity level of the native bees has also increasedā€¦but they are a bit harder to photographā€¦

6 Likes