New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

My name’s Mal from Canungra Qld and I move my bees around southern Qld and northern NSW. I love innovations in beekeeping and probably spend too much time trying different ideas, but that makes life interesting.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Janis from Herberton, North Queensland. My grandson Taylor & I have bought a Flow Hive, expect delivery December & hope to learn how to care for bees & all the necessary requirements between now & then. A big challenge as Taylor is blind & autistic & this is his project. He’s just turned 18, in year 12 & finishes school this year, so the bees will be part of the job he will be creating for himself on our small acreage. He’s always been interested in bees & is very excited about the prospect. Meanwhile, we need to find a local bee group & a mentor.

1 Like

Good move, Honey! Great handle.

Hi, I know nothing, that’s why this idea appealed to me. I live on 60 acres in the N. CA foothills. Lot of bees around so am looking forward to starting my hive.

1 Like

Hi Monika
Like you I am also new to bee keeping. I am in New Gisborne . Have you found any helpful local beekeepers?

Glad to have you join, :slight_smile: what area of the world are you from. I don’t recognize the name, sorry

Hi Gigibees,
not yet. had the flu and now catching up with my other things.
want to do a course in Melbourne. weekend to just learn all the generals and teeminology about bee keeping so I know what people talk about and understand how its been done so far.
I am very much into biodynamics and Rudolf Steiner gave lectures about the bees. want to get hold of that too.
there is a lady locally that has bees and she is on my list to contact. will take it from there.
my hive is
not to
come until next year anyway, so that gives me time to learn and learn and learn.
maybe we should stay in contact?

That is good advice for me also. We can not bring bees into Kauai. I will get my hive in December and I believe they swarm in late summer. So it will be next year before I can even get started. So I will learn and join the Bee Keepers Association. :slight_smile: I will Bee Sweet and see if someone would share or help me. I hope I can get bees.

Hi All

My name is Norman Joseph Smith, Joe preferred. I’ve been ordained as a Buddhist monk for 14 years. I live in Brisbane SW, Queensland, Australia. I’m looking after bees, both honey and native, because I think they are in danger.

I have three honey bee hives already, the standard type, which I got from a retiring beekeeper two months ago, after attending my local beekeepers’ group and asking if there were any hives for sale. I got them and nearly all the basic equipment for a steal - $300 AU. I did this because it is out of season to establish new hives. They were quite run down and I’ve been building them up. By the time the flow hive super comes the smaller of the three will be ready.

I will see if there is another topic for good practices, where I can share those given to me by a very experienced beekeeper.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Welcome! I look forward to your posts.

Hi, firstly congratulations to Stuart and Cedar, what a great effort to raise the profile of global beekeeping.

I look forward to helping people with their flow hives, I am an experience beekeeper and offer training courses as well as helping people with swarm control, hive management and bee supplies.

I work in Melbourne Australia and am involved with CERES bee group - look for my Facebook page for more information

Cheers
Benedict

1 Like

I live in Colorado and have similar temperature swings. Shade in summer and wrap well in winter.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Andrea. I live in Littleton, Colorado. I’ve had one (only one) top-bar hive for quite a few years. I"m looking forward to “working” with the Complete Flow Hive when it gets here. Such a great idea!!

1 Like

Hi, when is this wonderful product going to be available in France?

It must already be here, in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, where do I find it???

This product is available online from Australia. There was initial, drive to fund it and get it into production. The funding raised over 12 Million $US and the factory is up and running in Queensland. The original orders are being fulfilled and that will be completed and sent out by December - before if production goes well. It will be produced in the USA but that is under discussion as far as we know so don’t know when that will be up and running.

Further orders have begun online and Shipping Date: Feb 2016

hope that helps

We have zen bees here in San Francisco also ; -)

http://blogs.sfzc.org/blog/2013/05/22/bee-well/

Hello. I’m in Nashville,TN. I’d been studying honey and bees for a few years as a hobby, my neighbor surprisingly came forth with a secret bottle of honey from the back yard…he’d been raising bees for years and I never knew…now I’m doing it. I like to keep things simple and decided to make all cut comb with shallows. I purchased two full gorgeous nuc’s a couple months ago…So I have two colonies which are growing. They each have two brood boxes. I was thinking of adding my shallow honey supers in a few weeks or month…now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just abandon the shallow super idea and instead get the “Flow™” going…but can I order Flow frames now or do I wait till 2016. And I have questions like why in the videos do I only see one brood box instead of two? And I guess one wouldn’t keep adding honey supers on top?..if not then how does one feed their bees? This is very exciting.

Hi Polly, Welcome! … Isn’t it wonderful that you can raise bees in your backyard and your neighbours are none the wiser. There is no barking, no clucking, no digging, no mess…
As for 1 or 2 brood boxes, this is a personal choice, the commercial beekeepers here in Australia swear by a single brood box and then perform some rudimentary brood manipulation during spring and summer to ensure there is always room for the queen to lay. I do this too and it works. Flow or Supers? Why not do both. If you don’t have an extractor then you could use Flow frames in one full depth super and honeycomb in your shallow supers. Really depends on the nectar flow in your area. Feeding bees is generally only when you are starting a new colony or feeding syrup when their stores are too low to get through winter. Happy to have you onboard. Cheers

Hi, my name is Jeff from Buderim, Qld. Australia, a part time beekeeper of 27 years. Anything that can possibly go wrong with bees has happened to me, considering I live in a sub-tropical climate & have never kept bees anywhere else. I’m currently running around 60-70 hives. I’ve learned a lot over the past 27 years & are always willing to learn from or answer any questions on beekeeping & most importantly “bee culture”.

3 Likes