Any FlowHive Users In Kentucky

I am in Central Kentucky, any other FlowHive folks?

Northern kentucky. One flow hive, first year with bees! How about you?

1 Like

Hi Susie, thanks for responding, brand new, got my bees this weekend and my flow hive came yesterday! If you don’t mind, I would like to ask you some questions later! Have a great day!

1 Like

Nashville, close enough? :smiley: 3rd season with the flow hive.

3 Likes

Thanks Martha! I would love to be able to contact you as a resource!

1 Like

@Skeet how close to Horsebranch are you?

Hi Susie, I’m not sure where Horsebranch is? I’m located about 35 miles directly south of Louisville KY. Did you have any trouble getting your bees to move up into the super? What type of frames did you use in your brood box.

I know people can be creepy sometime, so if you’d like to check me out to make sure I’m legit, I’m a State Farm Agent, you can check out my website at Rick Skeeters State Farm Insurance Agent and I’m on Facebook. If you are comfortable with doing so, I though maybe we could exchange phone numbers, I hate typing out long text and/or emails. If you are not comfortable with that, I understand. You can also see on FB, I’m happily married to Judy. Sorry, this may be more info than you wanted. Thanks in advance for any help! Take care!

1 Like

Martha, thanks for responding, did you have any trouble getting the bees to move from the brood box into the super? Also, have you heard of anyone using a Flow Super on a Langstroth Brood box? If you are comfortable doing so, I would like to exchange phone numbers, I can be checked out on my business website Rick Skeeters State Farm Insurance Agent and on Facebook. I hate typing long emails and/or text. I’m happily married for almost 40 years, so I am no threat. However, if you are not comfortable with that I understand. Thank you in advance for any help! Take care!

1 Like

Horsebranch is near E-town. I am holding off on my Super til next year. I put a second brood box on and they are not doing such a great job with that. They filled up the first brood box and I was so excited (and worried about swarming) that I put the second box on and maybe they were not ready since all they are doing is making some burr comb.

Oh and I am using langstroth style brood box

1 Like

I looked up Horsebranch, it is near Beaver Dam, about 80 minutes from Etown. I have two new hives, got them from a 40 year veteran, 9 frame brood boxes and a short super on them. I am looking for a hive to put in my Flow brood box. Not likely I will get any honey this summer, just hoping to winter well!!!

1 Like

I’ve messaged you my phone number. Text first so I don’t assume your a solicitor. :+1::grinning:

If the hive is healthy and loaded with bees the bees will use the Flow Super. I bought a block of wax from manlake bee supply and took a kitchen torch and melted the block of wax a little and rubbed in on the flow super frames to give incentive to the bees to use the super. It worked like a charm. There are several ways here on the flow forum on how to do just that. Some paint it on, rub it on, scratch it on and all methods work.

Any advice on adding a 2nd brood box in Kentucky or just do the super?

1 Like

Do you have two brood boxes or just fill one and add the super?

You will want 2 brood boxes.

Two boxes may be a safe choice but the decision is just not that simple.

Do you have a local mentor? What do other bee keepers in your area do? Do you have special concerns or situation? What’s the surrounding area like?

If you search the forum for “one or two brood boxes” or “single or double” you will find some good discussion.

So… Kentucky, my home state, is north of Tennessee, my current state, and everyone local recommends 2 brood boxes. :eyes: what do y’all recommend in Ohio?

1 Like

It goes both ways. Some do one, more do two. Even well north of here in Ontario there are strong proponents of singles.

Interesting. From what I have read you have to feed if you choose not to use 2 brood boxes. Which inevitably leads to robbing and a colony reliable on artificial nectar (sugar water) that doesn’t contain the same vitamins and minerals as nectar. The various scholarly articles I have read recommended 2. I find it odd that so many people still wanna do their own trial and error instead of following the research of old.

So u have two brood hives. both deep or one deep one shallow?