Bees pouring out of my rear window spoiling my chances to observe them. Have I assembled the Flow Hive wrongšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

I thought I had assembled my hive meticulously. The bees are doing very well and Iā€™ve added my honey super. The trouble is I am having trouble viewing the rear window to see the state of honey production. Iā€™m not sure why but bees are seemingly streaming out from under the Flow frames. Am I missing a part? Have I assembled it wrong? I assumed they couldnā€™t do that. Help pleaseā€‹:thinking::grin::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Hi Ray, a photo showing the rear of your flow hive, without the rear panel, would be helpful
My initial thought is, have you adjusted the screw at the front/top of the flow frames.
The flow frames should be as far to the rear as possible by adjusting the screw on each flow frame
Another thought, did you install the 2 plastic strips to the rear and each side of the flow boxā€¦
A photo also looking down on the top of the flow box would be helpful
Cheers, G.

2 Likes

Thank you George. Itā€™s raining here today so will get pictures tomorrow for you to look at.This Will be very helpful.:grin::+1:

Many Thanks,

Ray

1 Like

Have you assembled that metal strip correctly? It is screwed into shallow cutouts at the rear of the side panels of the super. When the flow frames are inserted their lower rear edges touch that metal strip.

Iā€™m assembling a new Classic hive at the moment and this is what it should look like. I imagine the Flow Hive 2 is the same setup. You can see the flow frames are sitting on top of the metal piece. If they donā€™t they need to be pushed back until they do. As mentioned above, there is a screw in the top of the frame at the front end. Undo that screw so it rests against the front panel and stops the frame from moving out of position.

Hi George,

Here are the photos. There is a definite bee size gap between the metal strip and the flow frames as shown. Iā€™m assuming this should not be there undoubtedly . Yes, the acrylic frame space were fitted as directedā€¦
I will send you some pics. One at a time as directed by the forum rules.
Many Thanks,
Ray

Pic 2

Pic 3

Front of hive pic showing screw adjustments

Pic 2 of screw adjustments

Pic3

Hi Kim, thanks for getting back to me. I will send you a picture. There is a distinct gap between the metal strip and the flow frames; enough for a bee/ bees to get through.obviously that gap should not be there.
Many

Thanks,

Ahhhhh, just seen your photo Kim. Mine has the gap. Looks like an adjustment is required.
Many Thanks,
Ray

Hi Ray, I assume the flow frames are sitting hard down on the flow box ledge at the rear.
Also hard to see, but is the bottom rear edge of the flow box recessed so that the metal strip is screwed into the recess and is flush with the bottom of the flow box
If it is not recessed, it will account for the gap between the metal strip and flow frames.
Cheers, G

It looks like the screws need to be wound out a little so that it presses firmly against the wood.

1 Like

You need to push the flow frames tight to the rear and adjust the screws at the front so they are tight against the wood. There is clear gaps where the screws should be tight in your pictures.

The instruction manual has the details :+1:

I put a 1/8ā€ shim behind the frames where the adjustment screws are - my thinking was that I can pull this shim out and have more space to lift out the frames.

That gap shouldnā€™t be there. Wind the adjusting screw out further at the front end of the frame till there is no gap there.
Cheers

Interesting. I have a similar gap between the bottom of the Flow frames and aluminium strip, just not big enough for the bees to get through. The frames are pushed hard against the back of the box and it is not an assembly issue.

My problem is a poorly manufactured Flow super box (yes, original Flow, not knock off) and the frames are sitting higher than they should. The crown board sits on the frames instead on the wooden box ledge. This particular box was already replaced because of other defects and at the end I decided to just live with it. My other hive does not have this problem. I mentioned elsewhere but I happen to have a lot of quality issues with Flow hives and am disappointed with them really, sorry.

Yep I think my issue may not be my fault as I was meticulous when assembling it. The flow frames are pushed tightly to the back so itā€™s not a screw issue. My gap does allow the bees out far too easily and will be an issue when I try to get some honey I guess. Iā€™ve bought a thin strip of metal ; similar to the one provided by Flow but in all honesty, I shouldnā€™t be needing to ā€˜bodgeā€™ a fix. Itā€™s a brilliant and expensive hive and I really shouldnā€™t be having such issues. I feel there maybe a manufacturer issue with this / my Flow hiveā€¦:thinking::thinking::honeybee: I wonder what The Flow Team can do for me?
:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Absolutely. Even if it was a cheap hive you should get a proper working hive without any defects. Email them the photos and they should send you a replacement super. If they offer you just the back panel, be aware that it might not fit correctly with the rest of the box, so insist on a full replacement. I know because this happened to me. To their credit they are usually understanding once they see the photos.

From the photos it looks like you have the same problem as me, and the Flow frames look like they are higher than they should be. I donā€™t think it is the screws at the back.