Canadian Flow keepers

Thanks. Lovely product. Only problem is US$45 = approx.
Canadian $65 right now, so quite expensive given that the usual price for standard select pine deep is about $20.

Once the tung oil is added to the pine, it matches up with the cedar boxes beautifully.

Now that we have the jig to make box joints, can easily make more if we need. Also for others who may have problems finding 8 frame brood box in Canada, there is always the option of cutting down the 10 frame ends. This would require only re-cutting one end of each of the shorter lengths.

Happy beekeeping!

They are expensive here in the US too! You can buy Commercial grade pine boxes from Mann Lake for $14-$16 per box, depending on the quantity. Select grade is $16 to $23, so it looks like Canadians get a great deal!

Glad you happy with the finish. I have slatted racks and hive top feeders in Cypress and Pine, because they are not available in Western Red Cedar (WRC). I definitely notice the colour difference, but WRC is so variable, that for a small vertical stretch of the hive, it is acceptable! :blush:

I just got a frame jig - don’t have a box jig. As I have around 100 frames to assemble at some point, I thought the investment was worth it. I already have an upholstery stapler (compressed air) and some ~4cm length staples, so I am hoping it will be fun!

Good luck with your bees, and when you have time, some photos would be awesome!

Dawn

Here’s 3 photos of just the brood boxes, to view the comparison between the cedar (lower) and pine (upper). We think they look great. Also, we just happened to have some pine on hand which only had to be cut to length, then box-jointed, (and the rabbet cuts for the frames to drop in). And finally we still have the handles to put on the upper.

1 Like

Wow, that is incredible. I have never seen pine look like that after Tung Oil. I will have to take some photos of how mine look - very different from yours. Congratulations!

Dawn

Hey @VictoriaBC Check out http://www.bee-furniture.com/ He lives in Nanaimo but works out of Victoria. I had him make me some red cedar boxes that go nicely with my flow hive for much less money then getting them in from the US

Hi Beeliving - sorry we have not connected in some time. I am just waiting to receive my first shipment. I enrolled in a course and excited to get started this year. How was the last season for you? Do you know any good bee shops? Need the tools, outfit and of course bees!

Any suggestions?

BeeWarkworth

Hi Kelly - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Nothing yet! :frowning: Still waiting. Have you received yours? Have you got it all set up? Friends of ours received theirs about 2 weeks ago. They are in Trenton! It would be great to connect! This is a first for me… so not sure what is in store!!

Hello! I just got my hive in the mail! We are in Brighton. How are you doing? How was the assembly? I am looking at my two large boxes feeling a little scared :). I have never worked with bees in my life! I guess I’m scared and thoroughly excited. Any info is welcome.

So happy to hear from you! We received ours at Christmas. It is all ready to go now just waiting for our bees to arrive on May 20th :smiley:
I wanted to send you a couple of pictures of the flow hive but I do not think there is a way to send them.
My direct email is kelly@keruzore.com

Smabardi! So excited you have pieced it all together! You will need to send me your instructions. Did you video the experience? BeeWarkworth! We will start to put ours together next weekend!

It arrived and now built! Just waiting for some tung oil and the girls to arrive!

2 Likes

Hey, I’m just south of you in DeWinton and I’m getting my bees from Scandia Honey as a package.

HI, we are going to try a flow hive this spring. we are located in Indian River Ontario and will let you know how it goes/flows.
Dave & Patti

I’m in Prince George, BC and am just looking into beekeeping because where I live now has a huge garden and the previous owner had honey bees which we still see around. Looking forward to this forum and learning about beecare.

Hi Kelly - hope you are doing well? How is the hive doing? I just installed my nuc! Took an amazing course yesterday with OBA & Tech Transfer. It was very informative. Brought the girls home yesterday and installed today. Now we wait! Did you feed your girls? Do you only have the two deep boxes? I am looking for a third - either medium or deep. Any suggestions? The Flow size is not so standard.
BeeWarkworth

Great training course yesterday! Great handing out with you!
BeeWarkworth

We did feed our girls one batch. We used a chimney feeder that my husband had to modify. They are working like crazy. Lots of ants which scared us. We are using an entrence reducer, my husband made it.
We have the brood box and the super. Just what came from Flow Hive. Do you think you need another super? We thought we would just drain when it gets full.
Let us know if you are over our way.

I am in central Ontario. I just got some Italian bees this week and they seem to be doing fin in my Flow Hive. I am wondering - do I need to get a second brood box, and if so, should I also get a second honey super? I have no desire to produce mass quantities of honey for myself, I am only concerned about the heath of the hive, especially over winter.

I would say definitely yes, but you should also ask your local beekeepers. I bet they run on double brood boxes. Also keep in mind that you have 8 frames, and they probably have 10, so they have 25% more space than you. You might even want a third brood box. For winter, if they have 20 frames, you will only have 16 with 2 boxes, if you go to 3 boxes, you will have 24 frames, which will help to feed the bees in the cold weather, and Italians eat a LOT! :wink:

Don’t put your Flow super on until you have both (or all 3) brood boxes at least 80% full. You shouldn’t need any extra supers, but i like to have some traditional medium supers anyway for comb honey, which sells at a premium in my area. Helps to recover the cost of the hive equipment! :blush:

Hi there we are from Swift Current area.
We are also new to bees, we got our Flow Hive (7 frames) in March and our bees arrived the end of April.
We purchased another 6 flowhive because we actually have a swarm that moved under our trailer.
We have harvested about 100lbs of honey already, we harvested last on August 17.
We were wondering how it is going for you.
We would like to continue to communicate with you being you are also in Sask.
Our email is summerjan5@gmail.com

Jan