Cape Town - SOUTH AFRICAN flow keepers

Good morning all, I recently imported a Flow Hive 2 and have transfered 5 frames of bees, brood and food into it for just over a week now. They are going strong and I am thinking of adding a shallow super (made locally to fit) a bit later in order to give them more space to grow before adding the Flow super. I am in Umdloti, just north of Umhlanga Rocks, Durban. Is there anyone else on the KZN area with a genuine Flow Hive who has had experience in this region? Any advice/tips from SA Flow Hive users are welcome.

1 Like

Good Day
Iā€™m from Durban. I am planing to get myself two new flowhives. I have as per the picture two normal hives that I inherited and would like to intrudes the new ones. Does any one sell or distribute these hive in Durban or do I have to get this direct from flowhive.
Thanks
Gerrit Muhlenbeck

The only places that I am aware of to get them is direct from the Flow website, or through Amazon in some countries. I am sure that @Faroe will correct this if I am wrong. :blush:

Hi Gerrit,

You can order official Flow Hives through our international website and view our shipping page here:
https://www.honeyflow.com/shop/shipping/p/25

Flow authorised re-sellers are listed on the page below (we add new authorised resellers as they become available).
https://www.honeyflow.com/resources/community-bee-clubs/beekeeping-club-map-directory/p/310

If you have any specific queries about shipping to South Africa please email info@honeyflow,com

Good day,

I am in Ballito, apart from the lockdown now, would love to come check out your setup
Pls let me know how its going in the meantime

Hi, I have two Aus flow hives now, running alongside my two conventional hives, and they are doing great. We have our annual Brazilian Pepper flow around March so I have been fortunate to be at home during this lockdown period to spend a lot of time in my hives. I have just harvested from all 4 of my hives and have taken off about 65kg, and there is still plenty of honey in the hives. I must say, having done the extraction side by side with my regular hives, extracting honey from the Flow Hive is so much less invasive on the bees.

With regards to the Flow Hives and our SA bees, the bees took to the plastic flow frames after rubbing a little was on each frame and the bees are generally very healthy and happy. The cells cracked open easily and the honey started to drain immediately. I didnt get revved by any bees and they didnā€™t seem to be bothered at all. The frames produced on average 2,9 kg each. I did notice looking through the back window that the bees started taking out honey from the frames as I was extracting, as if they new their honey was being stolen and were trying to save it? I noticed this behavior on both flow hives during extraction. This was my first extraction so perhaps there was a bit of ā€œsettling inā€ of the frames. There was hardly any spillage on the removable tray below.

As far as hive inspections are concerned, I do my regular inspections the same as I do on my conventional hives. The Flow Hives are ridiculously expensive to import In SA but they are very well designed and put together. The quality of the product and the packaging are top class. I donā€™t promote Flow Hive over any other hives, this was just a note of interest for anyone out there who was wondering about them. Personally I rate them highly. All the very best to all.

1 Like

Hi There,

Where are you based again?

I have my one very happy