Hello from Brisbane

Just starting out on my beekeeping journey. Was so excited to receive my flow hive was like a kid at Xmas. These hives are a thing of beauty. Have taken my time applying tung oil with wet and dry paper really happy with outcome. Just waiting until spring to hopefully get some bees and hopefully carry on learning about these amazing little creatures.

7 Likes

Beautiful finish! There is a lot to learn and it’s never enough for your first colony. The people’s here are amazing and very helpful. You’ll also wanna see if your local club has meetings. Welcome to the forum. :raised_hands:

Hi Moby, welcome to the forum, I’m not far from you at Buderim.

cheers

1 Like

Hi Wizard yeah really happy with the finish. I think that the tung oil really makes the wood look so rich. I have become a member of the local beekeeping association bought a few books to read up on so will hopefully have abit more knowledge for when I hopefully get my bees in August / September. Reading through some of the posts etc on the forum also looks like a great place for advice. Just seems like one big family from around the world. I’m so excited but a bit nervous to get started.

2 Likes

I’m on the Northside and have found this forum and this Australian bee keepers encyclopaedia have been a wealth of information.
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/1925820920?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought my nuc from Two Busy Bees at Geebung and have been really happy with them. Hoping to get first honey by Christmas.

2 Likes

Hi Nathan thanks for your info. Have already got the Australian Beekeeping Manual and have just started on Beekeeping for dummies. Funny enough I am on the list to be contacted from Two Busy Bees when they have more bees for sale Deb said maybe late Aug early Sept.
Cheers Moby

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! Beautiful job on your hive. :blush:

If your bee supplier lets you down, or you want bees sooner, @JeffH would be a great choice. You may have a bit of a drive (to Buderim), but he will sell you a very strong colony of beautiful bees. It would be a full box, not just 5 frames, so you have a “flying start”. He has been on the forum for over 6 years, and has a great reputation. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Dawn_SD , just to be clear, I only supply 4 frames, and not a full box of bees. However they DO get off to a good start because of the contents in the brood frames with young mated naturally selected queens.

1 Like

Thanks @JeffH for the clarification. My brain must be getting old! I thought you supplied mainly full boxes, but I am grateful for your correction. Hope you had a good winter, and that the new season will be everything that you want!

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi & many thanks Dawn, we’re in the grips of the coldest winter for a while. People are saying that it’s much colder than previous years.

I’ve got something for show n tell on the hobbies thread. I’ll let you see after Wilma uploads the photo.

cheers

1 Like

Many thanks to both Dawn and Jeff will definitely keep that in mind. Think I still need to do abit more studying but much appreciated for your information.

1 Like

You might need a sweater!! :cold_face::joy:

2 Likes

You’re not wrong @chau06 , I’m wearing a cardigan at the moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.”

I know some have it much worse than me but this adage really does hold true!

Christmas Day 2020, it wasn’t even that “cold” (only -10°C)!

2 Likes

You are spot on Alok. That’s what I tell people “we’re just not dressed appropriately”. One bloke came to pick up his honey wearing shorts, thongs (flip flops) & maybe a cardigan, complaining about how cold it was.

2 Likes

You guys @JeffH and @chau06 are just hilarious! Thank you for being here!!

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes