Houston, Tx: Will I need a second brood box?

I haven’t found an answer since people from my region seem to be lacking on this forum… :slight_smile:

In my climate, is it advisable to prepare to use a second brood box at some point in the near future, or do people usually go with just one plus the Flow Super?

I realize this is a larger question, but I hear answers that say “in my climate xxx”, but I haven’t heard anyone from MY climate weigh in…

Thanx!

I’m no Texan but @Martydallas is - I know he’s a bit “north” of you @MichaelD but he might be able to inform or connect you with somebody from around there.

There are a few on here that are from the South Texas region. I seriously would ask some your local beekeepers. It does not matter that they don’t have flow hive experience. Ask them if they have to brood boxes and one honey super. When talking to a non-flow frame person just refer to your flow frame as a honey super.

A former coworker, used to keep bees in the Houston area and he only ran one brood box and one honey super on each hive.

But most people in the US that I have spoken to are running to brood boxes to every one honey super i.e. flow frame box.

5 Likes

I use the same as @Martydallas’s co-worker. One brood box & one honey super, that keeps it simple. You only have one honey super to lift off in order to do brood inspections & only 8-10 frames of brood to check on. Keep all of those brood frames in A1 condition & mostly worker comb & you’ll get a population explosion, even with just one brood box.

Put it this way, I’d prefer to have 2 hives, using 2 boxes each, rather than 1 hive, using 4 boxes.

Apart from that, I always reckon that 2 queens are better than one.

1 Like

Do you have more swarming issues with one brood box? I have some swarm issues using 2 boxes and it would seem one box would crowd the queen even faster.

2 Likes

I do a lot of swarm control which prevents swarming. That way I get lots more colonies that I’m able to sell. Swarming is a fact of life. Pun not intended. In the “Facts of Life”, “The Birds & The Bees”, that’s how the bees do it. It’s just something we can postpone indefinitely & use to our advantage. In the bargain, we don’t end up with bees annoying our neighbors by moving into their wall cavities.

2 Likes

I not only needed a second brood box but a second hive!

I started with a 5 frame nuke!

1 Like

Does anyone know if one flow super holds more than one deep honey super?

Martha - any young hipster would be proud of that beard. :smile:

2 Likes

Martha - the flow frames hold quite a bit of honey but there are fewer of them in the box compared to the standard frames…(in my case, 6 flow frames compared to 8 wax frames) so I’m guessing it would end up being about the same.

1 Like

Hi Martha, I like to use this example with bees.

If you imagine a frame full of brood containing 6,000 bees all squeezed into the confines within a frame & then within a few days they all exit that frame, stretching their legs & wings outside the confines of that frame, it’s easy to see how a hive’s population can quickly blow out.

Imagine how quickly that happens when a colony has 5or6 or even more of those frames ready to hatch in a short space of time.

Using this video to illustrate: I measured my lounge room which works out to be roughly 240 sq.ft. Assuming that glass box is 2 sq.ft. That means I can fit 120 of those glass boxes containing a contortionist into my lounge room (one layer), assume we only have the same head room as the size of the box & then asked them all to exit the boxes, they would spill out into the hallway & out the front door, in order to be able stretch their arms & legs.

1 Like

yeah- but where are you going to find 120 contortionists jeff? I just don’t see it happening… Contortionists and Vaudevillians in general are thin on the ground these days (good swarm control no doubt) :wink:

And just imagine a huge beard of contortionists on your front veranda or swarming to your neighbors house?

2 Likes

Hi Jack, I have another illustration about bees, it involves a full racing cam in a motor. I’ll save that for another day.

Martha it seems that the average for flow frames is approx 3kg of honey per frame. Or 18kg of honey for a 8 frame langstroth. Not sure what 8 frames would spin to, but I’m sure others will. So halfway to answering your question.

Adam

2 Likes

I love this example Jeff! When I looked in my brood box, it looked like an overcrowded night club with standing room only.

1 Like

Ok I’m lost, I don’t have to spin my flow frames to obtain honey. Watch Frederick Dunn on YouTube! He has several and weighs, tests, analyzes all sorts of stuff for the highly educated bee keeper

Ok now I know why I’m confused. I wrote a poorly phrased question. So disregard my broodbox deep thing, god only knows what I was asking. However, as a newbie with bee lingo, I appreciate your efforts towards helping me. :grinning::+1::honeybee: