I have a gap on both sides of flow frames

Hello I am assembling my new flow hive. Made all my cuts started putting tubes in and I have a large gap on one side or the other. I used screws to make the gaps about the same. The gap would allow bee’s up beside the outside wall and flow tube. Should I make a small piece of metal like they use on bottom in back for both sides as well. Any suggestions helpful. I’ll try and get pictures tomorrow.

1 Like

Looking forward to your pictures as I think I’m having the same issue.

Greekbecky I think it needs to have the shim at bottom or bee’s will get up in there and draw it out.

I have ordered two complete hives. Just how much assembling is there? And we have to actually makes “cuts” in something? I thought these were ready go?

Mine are not complete. I stated above I was using my own wooden ware.

Hi Omni,
There is a limited assemby work but some kits needed some sanding of fingers. Also pre-drilliing of all screw holes with an undersized drill bit is more than highly advised to prevent splitting of the soft cedar parts. I didn’t buy a Flow-hive but did buy a full cedar 10 frame WRCedar hive from maker of Flow called Beethinking. I did not have any issues assembling but did so slow n cautiously. . When working with any woods slow n easy especially with soft woods is advised. Good luck n enjoy the ride ! Beekeeping is awesome ! Gerald

1 Like

The Flow Hives were never advertised as assembled straight from the box - http://www.honeyflow.com/about-flow/flow-hive/p/65

e.g.

The assembly instructions are here - http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/assembling-your-flow-hive/p/179#a5
There are video’s and pdf manuals on how to do it. There are also numerous forum members who have posted video’s on assembly.
Depending on how “handy” you are, you might need to ask a friend for help.

Yes, I knew that there would be assembly required. But I do not expect, nor desire to have to make modifications or repairs straight out of the box.

There are other things that will happen once the Flow hive has been assembled. One of those items will be swelling of the wood. I have worked with wood for many a year and when I assemble inside the house or garage and the item will need to go outside, there will always be some swelling and the pieces will become very tight. You may want to take your hive outside and place it where it will be allowed to acclimate to the conditions in your area - and THEN… make some more adjustments to the sanding of the pieces you will be removing for observation and honey withdrawal. You don’t really want to shakeup the hive when trying to take those pieces out.

The boxes work as shipped. The OP is asking about standard lang boxes that he is having to modify. Something you will not have to worry about with complete hives.

I’m having trouble picturing exactly what you are saying here. But there should be no gaps in the access panel and the frames. If I am understanding you correctly you may have cut the access panel too large for the frames.

You won’t have to. If you get a kit with a problem you can submit the issue and it will be taken care of by flowhive.

No I converted my boxes to use flow frames. When all the tubes are n the box, on both side I have probably a3/8 a 1/4 gap where Bee’s can come up and out through top when I talk the top off. This is a bottom view.

The inner cover will keep the bees from coming up through the top in that gap. But that is normal at least as compared to mine that was produced by the manufacturer. The bees have to be able to work that far outside panel so there would have to be at least a bee space gap there.

I know there has to some space I just think that’s a little large.