In Search Of Flow hive to buy in southern California

ISO for a flohive in Southern California. Thanks

Just for anyone who is older than millennial (like the dinosaur that is me), ISO means “In Search Of”… :wink:

Now, some questions for @b0lo33…

1. You want to buy one?
  2. You want to see one in operation?
  3. What part of SoCal?? The area is probably 10,000 square miles or more! :blush:
1 Like

Lol. You’re right. Looking to buy one used in la/oc arwa

Hi Dawn. Thanks for clearing ISO up. I had no idea what it meant. I never thought to google it, that would have given me the answer, I guess.
cheers

PS. I’d also like to caution folks against seeking second hand beekeeping equipment, especially where plastic is involved. There is always a remote possibility that second hand equipment can contain disease spoors. In my own activities, I always treat second hand equipment like it is contaminated. In doing so, I scrape clean before lightly scorching everything before using it with my bees. As you can imagine, I can’t do that with plastic.

Not that I buy second-hand stuff. It’s always stuff that gets given to me.

3 Likes

OK, dinosaur translation for myself - @b0lo33 wants to buy a used Flow hive in the Los Angeles/Orange County (south of Los Angeles) area…

Please correct me if I am wrong, @b0lo33 . I am not trolling you, just we are so international and mixed in age groups here, we don’t all speak the same acronyms. I have lived in SoCal for 24 years now, but I am still learning the culture… :wink:

2 Likes

No offense taken. Inn a newbie so learning

1 Like

How long does it take 3lbs of bees to make comb from scratch? That’s what I picked up this past weekend. Plenty of 1:1 in the feeder.

It depends… Yes, I know that doesn’t help, but it really does depend on a lot of things, like:

1. How old the bees are - younger bees make more wax and will build faster
  2. How warm it is. Wax is easier to model in warmer weather
  3. How much food they have, and whether it is high quality (like their own honey), or less preferable, like syrup
  4. Whether they have foundation. The build faster on foundation
  5. Whether they need the comb for brood or stores. If they don’t have enough bees to support fully drawn comb on every frame, they won’t build it until they do

I am sure that there are a lot of other factors too, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. A very vigorous package will start building comb right away, but may not fill the brood box for a month or sometimes even more. A weaker package may take several months or longer to fill a single brood box. :wink:

1 Like

Lol Dawn. You do make me smile :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like