Indiana Bee keepers wanted

Thanks Dawn, this helps very much:grinning:

Is awesome to know thereā€™s another newbie in the Indy area! Is going to be so much fun to see how this experience goes! i decided to write a blog about our flowhive experience. http://www.scholarsrusticgarden.com Now just waiting for my flow frames to arrive. Was suppose to be in January, but looks like thereā€™s a delay of some sort. I am patient though. Donā€™t need them till after I get my bees this coming spring anyway. Are you coming to the bee school at the end of February?

Lady Bee, I canā€™t wait to read your blog! That is so cool! Just another helpful hintā€¦you can watch short little video segments on Ohio State University website. They have been very helpful to me. I have emailed a request for my missing piece, but havenā€™t heard anything back. :frowning: I was wondering if I should just put a piece of plexiglass there? Is your observation window just a thin piece of plastic? Thank you for your help!

1 Like

The blog will be fun. Iā€™ve never written one before. But thereā€™s so much to learn and share! I figured a blog would be a fun place to do that:)

My hive came with a thin plexiglass insert that is then covered by the cedar wood door. From my understanding the hive needs to seal up. So a hard plexiglass panel will help it be sealed up. The the bees will do the final sealing with propolis.

One thing I would consider, for youā€™re thinking of making a piece to fit yourself, check what kind of material youā€™re using and be sure itā€™s not a material that off gasses. I know some pvc:plastic materials do that. Iā€™d think that might be a problem for bees.

Thank you so much for your pictures! After looking at your pictures, I went back through my box. Not only am I missing the plastic piece, Iā€™m missing that big piece of wood that covers the window. I have all the hardware, tabs and knob, but no plastic or wooden cover. I know I should just wait, instead of trying to make it myself. I am just pretty disappointed. My hive also has some chunks missing where the handle is. I know it will not interfere with the function, and is more cosmetic. After paying the amount I did, I just expected more. I donā€™t mean to be negativeā€¦because I really want this to work, and am really excited about it! I will try to call on Monday. Thank you LadyBee for all of your help!

1 Like

Just wanted to let fellow Hoosiers know that I posted info about my experience using Tung Oil to seal my Flow Hive. You can check it out here: http://www.scholarsrusticgarden.com/

The Bedford Beekeeping club has just announced its Intensive Beekeeping workshop. I went to it last year and it was really, really good! I highly recommend it. They were organized and had lots of folks that were willing to share their knowledge. http://bedfordbeekeepers.com/educationresources/workshops/

Hello! Iā€™m in NW Indiana and will be starting my hive in the spring.

Greetings from beautiful Bloomington! Iā€™m completely new to all of this, so looking for plenty of learning opportunities. I have assembled the Flow Hive and applied two coats of Tung oil. It looks beautiful. I was shorted one screw for a knob, but found one in the workshop that fit perfectly. The entire thing took just a little over an hour to assemble. Iā€™ve ordered a nuc colony and will be picking it up 5/19 in Kentucky. Iā€™m looking forward to chatting with you all as I learn along the way! Ray