Missing flow frame key access cap

Ready to put the flow super on, and I cannot find one of the key access caps. How crucial are they? Do I absolutely need one before I can install or can I go without?

There head office is close to you so I would send them an email and they should have one in the post really fast to you. Holding off putting the super on for a few days won’t be a problem.
As an aid to having the bees wax up the gaps in the cells much faster I got really good results by brushing on some bees wax over the cells compared to frames that I hadn’t done with bees wax. The bees will use that wax instead of the bees producing the wax.
Welcome to the forum, it is looking like a really good start to the season in northern NSW and SE Qld.
Cheers

1 Like

You don’t want bees accessing that area when you come to harvest, so I agree with @Peter48, and would look on the honey flow web store site, or e-mail info@honeyflow.com for a kit of spares. It isn’t expensive and they are worth having. We ran over a cap that fell into our driveway, so I was happy to have a set of spares. While you are at it, consider ordering a second Flow key (about $15). Using 2 keys at once makes it much easier to open the frames when harvesting!

1 Like

Hi @achev

This is very previous century solution, but… Stick a piece of rag or paper in the hole until spare cap arrives and put super on any time you want. Unleash your creativity :wink:

1 Like

Thank you all for your helpful responses. To ease my initial frustration, I went down for a nap and woke up with the idea to cover with cardboard instead while waiting for the part, just as suggested above. Sleep on it as they say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. How much beeswax do you estimate i would need to buy to paint the 6 frames?

thanks fo the tip :slight_smile:

If you read his original post Dawn I took it that he was missing the rectangular top key access cap and not the flow key. But I do agree a second key used in tandem makes opening the frames easier and I suspect less rick of the breaking on the frames that some are complaining about. I also suspect it might reduce the risk of flooding as there should be less flexing of the frame.
As for the amount of wax to brush on the frames a 1/2 a coffee mug when melted is enough, if you can scrape some bur comb off the brood frames there is often enough there.
Cheers

1 Like

You need to get to the gym @Dawn_SD :see_no_evil::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

You want me to catch coronavirus? :crazy_face:

Lol dear god no but 2 keys… Your a wimp :wink::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Maybe I am wimp. But maybe I am also a closet engineering enthusiast? Imagine the torque when you twist one key in the slot. You are associated with a high end vehicle company, I believe, so torque must be a familiar concept. Now imagine the reduced torque, spreading of load and pressure on your delicate, wired plastic frames when you put 2 keys in, and twist in opposite directions at the same time… This is a video of my gym-trained, muscular husband doing the 2 Flow key opening, about 45 seconds in:

Much less flexing of the frames. Much less jiggling around for the bees. Perhaps it is just me, but it seems totally worth the cost of an extra key! :blush:

1 Like

Hi @achev we do have spares caps and tubes kits on the website as well - or feel free to email info@honeyflow.com if you need assistance. Meantime it sounds like plenty of great bandaid solutions have been suggested so you will be able get on with it while the new parts make their way to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes