I have just completed a couple of brood boxes from scratch.
They started out life a bit like this.
I cut this out of a log with a chain saw. This is not the log I used because it had bad splits and voids but it will be usefull later for smaller pieces of wood. By the way this is Sheoak or Allocasuarina fraseriana. My favourite wood.
From the chunk it is cut into boards. I cut them 30mm wide to dress at 25mm
And with a "side " and “end” template marked out where to break them down. These slabs were proceeds of two separate logs and came off our property. Sheoak is strong along the grain but brittle across the grain and I had a high reject rate.
Then I cut the ends and sides. Planed and thicknessed them
The picture has them all planed flat on one face and edge ready to be thicknessed. Due to difficulty in planing (chips very easily and my band saw left some wobbles)) they all finished up at 22mm thick.
They were then boxed jointed. First attempt.
Now there are no prizes for picking up the mistakes. The recessing of the frame ledge was a problem till I got the technique sorted. I was sort of happy but annoyed I did some boo boos.
This is the second one and pretty happy with it.
Needs a rabbit for the frames then screwed together sanded and it will be ready to go. I love the patterns in the wood.
When they are completed with the rest of the paraphernalia and I get the bees in I’ll post a picture.