New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

Hi Max, I just want to say “here here” on the ‘natural high’.

Hello from Wisconsin! I am yet to be a bee keeper, but my first hive is supposed to ship sometime this April. The first colony will be located on an organic produce farm with a natural creek flowing near by.

Hello from Alabama, USA I have just opened my boxes and I am so excited to get started. I have been in the process of moving since my boxes arrived, so I am one happy lady today.

Hi! Im from Canada New Brunswick,small town call Tracadie. I am very excited to start this brand new experience. I have lots of blueberry bushes and fuits trees on my 3 acres of land, i noticed a significant drop in bees.That s is my contribution to this beautiful planet that we live on . Serge :)))

Where can i go to see some video on nucleus and how to indroduce the bees into my honey flow? thanks :slight_smile:

That and more right here:
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/flowhive-video-instruction/5794?u=dawn_sd

Nucleus installation is episode 6

O my God your quick Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Steven, in Melbourne, Australia. Just received my 6 frame classic flow hive. Learning about beekeeping before getting a brood from South Eastern Beekeeping group in spring (that’s around September here in Australia). Very exciting! I love bees and I love honey. Thanks Flow Hive team for the inspiration to take the leap to beekeeping! :slight_smile: Hoping to find some Australia specific threads on the forum (or I might create…). Warm wishes to all!

1 Like

Thank you Stu, you are a genius! It was the flow hive that got me interested in bee keeping. I could sit all day watching them work it is a relaxing exercise, thank you. I have a question, I installed my bees and the queen into the brood box on 4/4. I have not received my flow frames yet so should I be worried. What is a good time to install the flow frames after introducing the bees and should I be concerned? Thanks again!

Hi all, I am in The San Francisco bay area of California. Got my pkg of bees and installed last weekend. I have a question about the feeder I bought: I got from a supplier and it doesn’t really fit into the Flow Hive opening correctly. I have been told to feed at least at the beginning. Has anyone else had this problem, what do you suggest? This one was from Mann Lake.
Thanks!

I presume what you are discussing is a Boardman-type entrance feeder? How does it not fit? If it tilts because of the raised entrance threshold, I would just put some shims under the feeder base to level it. If the feeder extension doesn’t go through the entrance into the hive, I would not use it any more. There are other feeders, and I would suggest either a pail feeder, or a hive top feeder. Here are some links:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/8-Frame-Hive-Top-Feeder-w_Floats/productinfo/262/
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Pail-Feeder/productinfo/664/

Continuing the discussion from When to add super?:

I have TBHives and would like to adapt Flow Hive on them. I made some shorter, lighter TBHs that seem they’d be good to start with. Can anyone provide dimensions of the flow hives?

They are standard Langstroth 8-frame hives. Outer dimensions are 20 x 14" Imperial. :wink:

There are no gaps between the top bars
How are the bees going to access a super above?
Are you just going to modify it slowly to a long hive?

Hello Dee,
Perhaps I could make a slot in one top bar for the bees to move upwards.
Have you done an adaptation?

.[quote=“sdbeeguy, post:511, topic:34”]
Have you done an adaptation?
[/quote]No though I do know people who run long hives but they are just like Langs but longer.
I don’t see any way you can do it unless you spend the best part of a season expanding the nest sideways with Lang top bars, maintaining the gap as in a moveable frame hive then working the top bar combs out. Then you will have a top bar shaped Long Hive

The bees would probably just seal it up. I don’t think they would recognise the flow frames above as part of the hive. A way of getting bees to clean up a spun out super is to put it above the brood and put a crown board with a feeder hole in between. the bees rob the remaining honey out.

Thanks, Dee. What you say sounds like good advice. I’ll look for pictures of what you describe. The video showing the adaptation of a Lang box to accept the Flow Frames is very good. Not hard to do.

I just installed mine Saturday. I bought this enterance reducer and I am wondering if you or anyone can tell me how it fits? I clearly can’t figure it out. Lol.

Hello! My name is Jackie. My husband and I currently live in south Florida and we are looking to start bee keeping and we have zero experience. We have been looking into this for sometime but don’t really know where to start. For instance, a brood box. Is it necessary to have one under our flow hive to prevent the queen from laying her eggs where the honey will be harvested?