New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

Hello from Bridgetown, have always wanted bees as I intend to have a large veg garden and fruit trees and want the little critters to pollinate my garden. However I wasn’t sure because of the hassle to harvest the honey, I then saw Australian story and now have a full cedar wood kit assembled and ready to go. I will not start however until I have read,researched and received instruction on proper husbandry to ensure the bees thrive and survive.
Andrew

2 Likes

Hi there, we bought our honeyflow 12 months ago but didn’t actually get it setup with bees until just 2 months ago. We’ve both done a brief intro to beekeeping session with a local bee guru, and one of our friends has just done an intensive 1 week program (but has no practical experience). We’ve also viewed most of the honeyflow videos on setting up and managing the hives, but we’re still very much novices.We have an organic vineyard & orchard here in Albany (Western Australia) and are hoping to produce honey just for our own and friends consumption.

1 Like

@oranjetractor, any details on the week long intensive course? Interested that it runs that long without practical hands on.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for my lack of clarity…our friend has had no practical experience with bees (the course did do quite a lot of hands-on apparently).

Hello everyone. My name is Deon and I currently live in London, UK. I have always been very intrigued by apiculture and I am really looking forward to gaining proficiency before ultimately having my own hive. I am moving back to Cape Town, South Africa, in June, where I will embark upon my beekeeping endeavour as soon as I join an association of some kind and find a mentor.

Whilst in London, however, I would like to start building my knowledge of beekeeping. The school where I teach has been approached by the council to start a hive of their own and I would love to get involved in that.

I am really looking forward to learning from and this forum and to meeting new people. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning apiculture associations in both London (Wimbledon or Hackney area) and Cape Town.

Warm regards

Deon

You’ve got time to take a beginners’ course

http://www.bbka.org.uk/about/local_associations/find_an_association.php

@Dee Thank you! You are a star

1 Like

G’day Dave how is Flynn these days, I lived there in the early 70’s and our house on Sanderson crs was one of the first built.

Hi, Caterina here. I am a beek with one flowhive and plans for more as well as a native beehive or three before the year is out. I live in Cudgera Creek, half way between Byron Bay and the Tweed River in Northern New South Wales, Australian.

I love handling the bees… it’s a little scary but it makes me feel realy brave. :blush: & i love the smells of the hive and I didn’t expect that.

2 Likes

Hi my name is Adrienne and I am an extreme newbie to this entire process. I am Canadian from Ontario and living in Mexico. Finally got my equipment after a very long time but am not ready to setup yet. There are bees here in Mexico - Melipona bees - that I would like to work with. They are native to the Yucatan and are endangered. There was some info that indicated their construction differed from the normal honeycomb. Is anyone aware of this difference and can the FlowHive be used for them?

These are stingless bees. They are tiny, the size of ants. They won’t give you honey in a Flow I’m afraid. Have a search here for stingless bees or message @JeffH . He has videos of stingless bees on the forum

http://luckypeach.com/the-stingless-bees-of-the-yucatan-mayan-beekeeping/

If you put stingless bees in search there are 20 threads on them

Dee you really are a font of knowledge on all thing bees. :slight_smile: i am reading Tim Heard’s book about stingless bees in my area. It’s very interesting.

Not really…lots yet I want to know and not enough time left on the planet :wink:

Hi…
Greetings to all the fellow Beekeepers!!!:wave:
I am aspiring to become a Beekeeper. Currently, I am working in Nigeria.
I was always fascinated about bees and their way of life. I got to know about flow hive through a video shared by one of my friend. It was amazing. I wanted to start immediately.
When I did some google checks, I couldn’t find more details about forums or associations in Nigeria. Later, I got to know about this forum…

Kindly let me know if someone knows about beekeeping in Nigeria… I would really appreciate.

Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Hi there Everyone. I am Grace and I am a Nigerian. Well I am completely new into bee farming and have been reading online until I came across this great community of wonderful people. I am already learning a lot and hope to learn more.

You welcome dear. i am in nigeria also.

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I work for Coogar Wax (https://coogarproducts.com/), a company that sells candle making equipment. After working with wax melters, etc, I started getting interested in wax and the bees who make it! Glad to be in the forum and learning more.

1 Like

Hey all. Newbee from Ontario, Canada. Just getting started. We purchased a new house last fall with a couple acres so I’ve convinced the hubby we need bees. We have a half acre bass pond and a creek so lots of water for the little guys as well as extensive flower gardens and a small apple orchard. We are just down the road from a local supplier so we are taking a course there in 2 weeks and ordering our flow frame today! Can’t wait to see the bees buzzing around this summer!

Jenna

3 Likes

Hi all,
I’m located in Australia and have had a FlowHive since July 2016 and bees since November. My bees have perhaps been slow to get started I think. Not sure as I have no experience - but I was only able to add a super to the brood box about 6 weeks ago. I won’t harvest any honey this year as they will need it all (and possibly additional feeding) to get through the winter. Being located in the Southern Highlands (about 150 Km south of Sydney) the winters are cool and damp and frosts are frequent.
Love this forum it has already been so useful.

1 Like

Hi there, I am located in Melbourne suburbs in Australia. Have 2 flowhives and attended beginner course with Doncaster beeclub last year before getting 2 nucs in November. Still on a steep learning curve about beekeeping generally. One hive is strong and one is weak. I haven’t harvesting honey because the season has not been good and the hives are still getting established. As the weather turns cooler for autumn, I am interested to know how to prepare the hives for winter and whether the entrance needs to be reduced. I will check the forums for any discussions on this topic. Looks like some interesting threads may already be there to read:-)