Respect for others opinions

This comment is for everyone who posts, just easier to do as a reply.
There are many people using this forum from different cultures, age groups and experience of life & beekeeping. Some of these posts appear to make comment on a personal level regarding the OPINIONS & experiences expressed. It is interesting & informative to hear everyone’s experiences, & whilst you may disagree with something there seems no need to make replies or comments in response which attempt to negate or disparage the other persons opinion.
This forum was initiated by an invention which challenged & built upon peoples previous experience in beekeeping, and I feel this forum should be considered & utilized in a similar spirit…
Whether you are new to beekeeping or have years of experience, people are free to make up their own minds, and as with many things reading about something is always very different to actually doing it.
Lets please keep this a friendly & civil place of communication, information and connection with others who share this interest & passion.

7 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I have picked up gems of amazing information from all our seasoned veterans. I almost never agree with any one person 100% of the time but I still benefit from having read it and processed that information. It feels sometimes like we lose sight of that fact that we are all here for the same reason, the love of the bees. Let’s give everyone the benefit of the doubt that what advice and information they are offering, whether you agree with it or not, is coming from that shared place. Vigorous debate can only benefit everyone here in the long run.

2 Likes

It would be useful if people stick to “Topic” changing direction in the posts is not helpful - easier to join a post with the current Topic - It would make Moderators life easier as well Thanks

The pain of all forums. Especially when you want to go back and retrieve some information. You know it’s there, but it just isn’t in the topic thought most appropriate. 4000 topic posts later you find it.

The thing is, we are all (well most of us) guilty of it at one time or another and you will never stamp it out no matter how many moderators are at work. I do try to stay on topic.

1 Like

My apologies for any inconvenience. I put it there as I was referring to the tone of particular comments/interactions which were occurring in that topic…

No worries, or apologies, needed, Kirsten. You had a very valid point ; -)

1 Like

Thanks Sara, I really enjoy taking part in this forum, I feel in a sense it’s becoming a bit of a community. :grinning:

1 Like

What would the suggested protocol be if somebody is giving out not just an opinion but wrong information?
I know I can be a bit acerbic and I do try to calm it down but it’s so frustrating to see beginners advising other beginners to do something that is simply wrong.
Sorry :frowning:

There are a million ways to skin the beekeeping cat. It seems like much of the information we are working with is anecdotal or word of mouth. Something of an oral history of beekeeping. It is not so unlike why people over cook their turkey or pork chops into dry chewy disaster. Why do they do it? Because great-gramma told gramma who told mom who told you, so now you continue to butcher your dinners. Why did they do it? Because back then with fewer regulations and inspections you could get sick very easily if you didn’t cook bacteria, parasites and such out of the meat. There was a good reason for doing it but it is no longer relevant today. Much like many concepts in beekeeping. Beekeepers learn mostly by doing, and generally under a mentor. Their techniques and ideals are founded on that initial information. Just because it may be “wrong” doesn’t mean it wont “work”, just like overcooking the chop will still give you something that can be consumed even if it is not enjoyable as a properly cooked juicy one.

I think the best approach to people giving information that you feel is incorrect is to explore it and ask questions about it. Why do they believe that? Who taught them that? How long have they been doing that? What have their results been doing that? From there you can approach the conversation as a conversation and not a lecture which people may feel is demeaning or condescending. In my experience the more forceful you are with any kind of information the less well received it will be no matter how good or correct it is.

5 Likes

Offer up a courteous response of what method you feel is successful. Be respectful in how you answer. It isn’t actually a given that because you think they are wrong, they are. They may be, and it is always good to provide additional and optional practices to consider.

If you phrase every answer you give as; “That’s an interesting idea; I have experienced this and do thus in such cases.”

Don’t make it about someone else being wrong. People will sort out the dreck.

3 Likes

I think both adagna & sara have said exactly what I was thinking. If we can treat people with the same respect you would if you were face to face with them. It is easy to type out the first response in your head without thinking about how it may read. Make sure it is clear that you are responding or commenting on the idea/practice/experience not the person who wrote it. Debate the issue with out running down the person.

1 Like