Show a pic of your setup

THANKS! :sunflower::bee::sunflower:

Iā€™m officially feeling shamed into making a WAY nicer area for my bees!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

WOW, this looks like bee heaven!

1 Like

Cool hive stand! And youā€™re all ready for a second hive :grinning:

1 Like

Here is my set up. All wintered down now, so, not much bee keeping to doā€¦ Heading for withdrawals!! Youā€™ll all have to keep the spring and summer stories coming.

I donā€™t need a web cam because the hive is just off the verandah in the chook run!
Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦

Hmmmmm

4 Likes

Beautiful setting. Looks nice.

1 Like

Here are a few photos of my setup.
My first hive so I am learning as I go. I have made some any traps with oil in them
To go under the hive ( white things under hive boards)
My bees have been in for three weeks now & are very busy building
Comb & collecting lots of pollen

7 Likes

What the bees see out of their front door :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Sure is nice clover.
I spot 5 other pollinators enjoying it.

1 Like

How much and fast will one hive make honey from a field like that? I planted some clover and other legumes in my field this spring. I am hoping to get a flow later in the summer by haying it and then let it blossom.

1 Like

Believe it or not, the red clover wonā€™t be worked by honey bees in this field. The white dutch clover which is actually more plentiful here in this field will be one of the big honey crops as will the alfalfa in the field to the left and out of view of my first picture.
The red clover will be worked by the bumble bees and butterflies because the honey-bees canā€™t reach the nectar and the white clover is an easier prize.
This is the adjoining field of clover/alfalfa. They will draw and store 3-5 supers of new wax and capped honey and can do it in a matter of weeks when the conditions are right.

7 Likes

Can anyone count the number of bees on this fully capped frame? lol

8 Likes

I came up with around 2,000.

I am surprised the farmer doesnā€™t cut the alfalfa before the bees can get the nectar. To get the highest protein they cut it just before the flowers open up. I planted a blend of white and red clover, alfalfa, but mostly birdsfoot legumes. (8 acres) Hoping to let them bloom long enough for the bees to make me some honey. Birdsfoot will bloom all summer although I have had trouble getting it to grow very well. I am hoping to start about half an acre of wild flowers that will also bloom all sumer.

1 Like

This part-time farmer (family friend) cuts it exclusively for our dairy goats and on an as needed basis. The first cutting will give us 180 bales or so and the second will yield less. Having my hives there helps him with his farmland assessment and leaving the alfalfa in bloom helps the honey crop. I still say the adjacent clover field is the bigger honey crop though.

Close; you were 1,999 off lol

2 Likes

Whoops, capped honey not brood.

How late into the summer do you still see some flow? Does it bloom again after the first cut enough to see more honey?

It does. Also, after the first cutting, the red clover blooms are smaller and the honey-bees can get them. There is a sizeable uncultivated field here as well that competes with the late clover and alfalfa.

4 Likes

Errrrmmmmm. One? :smile: Is that a Perfect Pocket Hive Tool in the background? I managed to drop mine into the mulch, and despite a lot of turning stuff over, I canā€™t find it. I think it went down a gopher hole - the Community Garden is infested with them. Will have to order a couple of replacements from Mann Lake - I love it as a tool.