Switching out bottom boards

Hi all. I posted several weeks ago about being fed up with my screened bottom boards, particularly the one from a local supplier. The way the coreflute was cut made it a perfect ant farm, and how it was constructed allowed bees to become trapped between it and the screen :frowning:

I have a solid bottom board ready and wondered if anyone has particular advice or sees a problem with a quick change-out in 70F sunny fall weather, here in SE Pennsylvania. No wind either. Thanks!

1 Like

Go for it! :wink:

If the boxes are too heavy to lift easily, you can put some of the frames into an empty box at the side, and then easily lift the half empty deep. :blush:

2 Likes

Just do it :sunglasses:

Lift each box off and do a quick swap. 70° Is plenty warm enough, its a quick job afterall.

Cheers
Rob.

1 Like

and just be aware if there is a slope on your Flow base that this will not carry over to the new solid base. Additionally, traditional beekeepers will put a forward slope on their bases so any water from rain or moisture in the hive will be directed out the entrance and not pool in the hive.

3 Likes

Thanks all! Mission accomplished. I replaced the SBB from a different supplier; the Flow SBB is stored with the rest of my wax moth deadout equipment :frowning:️ Didn’t have as much of a problem with the Flow’s SBB…

It was a quick job, not the that pleased the bees any :open_mouth: I got chased, but fortunately not stung!

2 Likes

Only chased, no sport then :sunglasses:

1 Like