UK Flow keepers

Ah! That’s VERY interesting to know as the Romford gang meet every first Friday and I work pretty much every Friday so a pain in the bum. Do you guys have an ‘associate’ membership also? (Don’t worry - I will go google Thurrock group now in case these questions are all answered there!)
I’m in South Hornchurch so down by the A13 so Thurrock about as easy for me as Romford is.
I shall do more research now… thanks for the info!

Hello - ok - research complete. The website seems a little minimalist (ahem) but the fact that you are 20 mins down the road from me and the Wednesday meetings are WAY more doable for me that the Friday’s of the Romford gang (plus the mention of out apiary is hugely appealing while I earn my stripes) not to mention you taking the time to reply here… I’m in! I’d love to join so… in lieu of any information on the web site about joining i’ll just contact steve using the form supplied. Thanks again!
EDIT: Ah - you are Steve! That makes things easier (if not a little embarrassing!)

1 Like

Hello from Sunny Winchester / Southampton Border - Full flow hive due later this year and I’ve booked my first meeting with the Romsey Bee Keeping club in June - anyone nearby would be happy to catch up as I’ve not kept bees since my school years (many years ago) and i need some experience before I start.

Smashing! I’ll be there. Anything you need off me of just some dosh when I turn up?
Cheers
Matt

1 Like

Our groups meets every week over the summer - are we spoilt?

Adrian from Dorset on the border with the New Forest here.

I’m a newBee, and in a quandary as to where to keep the Flowhive when it arrives.

My first thought was on the edge of some woodland overlooking the Avon Valley floodplain, with access to water meadow flowers. The location however can be exposed to strong SW winds, especially in the winter months, plus security may be an issue. Its also a few miles from where I live.

OR I could keep the Flowhive in a walled garden close to the centre of town. The garden itself has lots of flowering plants including a lavender hedge which, until last year, has been covered with honey bees. One major plus side is that its walking distance from a junior school, who’s pupils might like to see the hive.

Hi everybody, Mike from Dorset here. I used to keep bees (in National hives) some years ago but after 3 successive years of the colonies failing to over-winter for no obvious reason and having to restock each time, I eventually became discouraged and gave up.

I am now enjoying early retirement and considering taking up the hobby again. My goodness, how some things have changed! I was thinking of going down the route of the Beehaus from Omlet and it was while reading some of their forum messages that I came across references to polyhives and Flow Hives - what were these strange contrivances, I wondered?

As you do, I followed up on the references with mounting interest and enthusiasm. 6 hours later (in the wee small hours of the morning) I was tired and bleary-eyed but much, much wiser.

Now all I have to do is decide whether I want the 8 or 10 frame Langstroth setup and which Flow Hive option to go for. Or should I wait awhile and see what further options Stuart and Cedar come up with?

Ohhhh, decisions, decisions :dizzy_face:

How much fun you are having!
Welcome back to Beekeeping. I expect it is all rather overwhelming.
I have 4 Beehaus and if you suffer with you back…they are great hives to use.
I am going to make 2 poly Langstroth hives into a long hive on the same principle as the Beehaus. I will be able to put supers above the long hive with my Flow Frames. Poly hives are much better insulated than wooden hives and bees do well in them. Eventually I want to convert a poly Langstroth to take the Flow Frames.
So that is my next project…and to have it ready for the spring.
Good luck with you decision making!

Hmmm, maybe that’s something I should look into (converting a poly Langstroth). I have more than a suspicion that where I live is a bit of a frost pocket during the winter months - car windscreens can be iced over here while 300 yards further up the road (as in up an incline) there’s no sign of any frost - so any help I can give the bees to survive, the better!

The way to avoid the hives being in a frost pocket is to site them facing South or South East. It’s amazing how much difference to their well being it makes…poly or wood.

My garden faces South, so you’d think it wouldn’t be a problem. In the Winter of course, the sun doesn’t get as high above the houses opposite as it does in the Summer, nor as early.

Mike, if you were losing colonies then there was a reason. Unless you get to the bottom of this the problems you encountered may just repeat themselves. The Flow is, after all, just an extraction system. Dexter is spot on. Tell us more about how your bees failed and perhaps we can all help you along.

2 Likes

First time beekeeper in Tideswell in Derbyshire, going on a course next week. Have joined the Sheffield beekeepers association. Any one out there in the Peak District or Sheffield?

I’m in the Peak District and have also just joined the SBKA - been to one of their hands on sessions, and am starting a beekeeping course near Derby next week. Also haven’t mentioned Flow Hives yet!

1 Like

Hi Susanne,
Tideswell, a lovely park of the Peak District. Plenty of country side around you. Sounds like we are in a similar situation - just starting. I’ve been to a couple of the SBKA hands on sessions in Sheffield [too far for you I guess] on a saturday morning which have been great. Nothing like ‘hands on’ is there? Been to a day course and learned how to do things the ‘old’ way without a flow hive! Didn’t mention flow hives, and don’t plan to until its working and I know what I’m doing. I’ve a full flow hive planned for next year, neighbours permitting.
Regards
Andy

The hands on sessions at Eccleshall woods are only 25 minutes away, so pretty accessible - I will try to go to a few more, so may well see you there. Will try to get to a few of the Wednesday night meetings too.