UTAH FLOW keepers

I’m adding a second brood box today. Did you just throw one on top or did you stagger empty frames and drawn frames? What worked for you? I’m in Springville and the first box is pushing 90% full and I don’t want them to swarm!

I added my second brood boxes on 2 hives underneath the existing boxes this year. It worked very well, and I will probably always do it this way now. I did not move any frames from one box to the other. The benefits of adding a new box below are:

1. Maintenance of brood warmth in the existing box (heat rises and bees try hard to keep the brood temp stable at 35C)
  2. Bees naturally like to build downwards. If they can’t do that, they like to maintain an “expanding edge” of comb. If your new empty frames are below, you will get much stronger, more orderly comb. If they are above, and you have foundationless frames, you may end up with some very creative comb which is wasteful of bee effort and undesirably messy.

I am not the first, nor the only person to add new brood boxes below the first one. In fact, Warre hives have done it this way for a long time, very successfully. The only disadvantage that I have found is that you have to lift a heavy brood box to put the new one underneath. My bees seem to like it, and I do too! :blush:

Thanks For the response. I did as you suggested and added a box on bottom 2 days ago. They seem to be taking to it. When I checked today there was quite a big bunch of them working on a couple frames when I just cracked it today. Questions this has brought up

1. Now the entry/exit is all the way at the bottom and a whole empty deep box away. Is that ok? When I checked it tonight I didn’t see one bee enter or exit. It was dark out already and a little chilly so not completely unexplainable…

2. Side question, the new box holds 9 frames as does the original flow give brood box. They only send 8. Even when I centered those ones, the bees still built a bunch of wild burr comb on the side wall in the space between the wall and the last frame. So I switched to 9 per box. Is that ok?

Thanks for the help…

Yes, it is fine. Bees don’t fly in the dark unless forced to.

In my opinion, it is not OK, unless you have modified all of the frames by shaving the shoulders down. The major problems with 9 frames are as follows:

1. You have now messed up the bee space on the outer face of the outer frames. When the bees draw comb next to the wall, they will not have the correct space to navigate between the comb and the wall.
  2. You do not have any space for lifting the first frame out without rolling bees. This will result in killing a lot more bees when you take that first frame out.

If you are worried about crazy comb, I would suggest putting in a follower board until the outer frame comb is drawn. I use these and they work pretty well:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/WW-155.html

Hope that helps!

Park City newbee here. Just received a Flow Hive for Mothers day. Way excited to get started!

1 Like

Welcome! I love Park City. We ski there every year. The snow was awesome this February. Hope you find some bees, but then, Utah is the beehive state, so you shouldn’t have trouble! :blush:

1 Like

Richmond Utah Newbee here. Put on sencond brood box today. Foundationless and all is well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Richmond Utah here, How’s it going up there in Park City with your new flow hive? I just put my flow hive super on yesterday and am quite excited.

Nice paint job and decorative art…and very excellent barn too.

1 Like

`Hey so my bees have sealed the joints between the slats in the flow frames but can’t seem to figure out how to draw the comb out. Any suggestions or ideas? Are the slats inside the flow frame supposed to be not lined up exactly? See pics.

I am afraid you have run out of time. The Flow frames need to go on at the start of Spring, and come off in mid to late summer.

Here is a thread which tells you how to get the bees to use them:

1 Like

Hey there Farmington, if you are still checking in on this, I’m a new flow hiver in SLC (got the Flow Hive 2, coming in August) and would love to hear your experience so far with how the Flow has been working in our climate with our shortened (compared to Australia) honey flows.
Thanks so much!

Hi all you Utah beekeepers. Are there any Salt Lakers out there? Or surrounding areas? I have a Flow 2 coming in August, and just bought a traditional langstroth to tide me over until then. I’d love to hear any advice you who’ve had a flow here now for a season or two have to share. We can communicate on here or I can shoot you my email. I assume since my Flow won’t arrive until August it would be too late to put that super on (over my two langstroth brood boxes) and be able to draw any honey from it this year, correct? And, have you been able to fill both brood boxes and still end up getting your Flow supers filled and harvest from?
Thanks so much - I’m really excited for this endeavor in general, but especially to be doing it with a Flow !!!

What are you other Utah Flow keepers doing to winter your flow hives. Let’s see your setups.

strong text

First few years hay bales and roof. Trying some insulation board this year. They have overwintered just fine.

4 Likes

Brrrrrrrr, I feel cold just looking at that first picture! Well done making it through last winter.
Are the insulation panels on the back as well? I’d imagine the bales would generate heat as well?
And that barn in the background looks pretty cool as well. :ok_hand:Goats too.
Just the one hive with a top entrance?
Good luck this winter Guineaman.

Insulation is on back as well. Overwintered twice now. Top and bottom entrance on all three , just different designs for roofs.

Might have to try that large foam. I’m using
2” insulation on 2 hives. Will try that out this winter and see what happens.

1 Like

Utah flow hive peeps. My brood boxes are packed! Putting on the flow frames today for the first time. When do you all normally add your flow frames?

1 Like

Has anyone tried to leave the super on and remove the queen excluder for over wintering? I am in SLC with the 10 frame brood box, 7 frame flow hive