What size are the Jars used

hi guys could some one tell me what size the jars are that thay have use to drain the flow frames.

thanx
Pete

I want to know where they get the 3kg jars in the videos!!

1 Like

Arrr 3kg hmmm do u know how many pints that is. :smirk:

1lb honey is 12 oz so x 3 x 2.2 = 79.2 oz 35 oz to a litre 2 26 or 2 1/4 kg = 3kg Honey

2 Likes

3 kilos of honey = 2 liters, 4.5 liters = a gallon. (roughly)

2 Likes

Thankyou Valli An Jeff

1 Like

Valli vorderman

1 Like

Last time I was in IKEA…they had some big kilner jars…similar to the ones seen on the video…not sure how much they held though.

Absolutely spot on.
The SG of honey is around 1.4 so you can work any weight to volume from that.
Valli…by the way 1lb is 16 oz NOT 12

How was your barefoot beekeeping?

1 Like

Sorry @dangerous
I should have been clear

A 12 Fluid oz Jar will hold 1Lb of Honey - Honey weighs more than Water so pound for pound a 12 Fluid oz jar holds 16oz Weight (1lb weight of Honey)

Yes I know 16 Fluid Ounces weighs a 1lb but 12 Fluid Onces of Honey weighs 1lb

Hope that is clearer

Which really annoys me when people say 1:1 water to sugar - 1lb of Water is 16 Fluid oz, 1 pt of Water is 20 Fluid oz

As a Chef I know 1 cup of Flour weights 1/2 the weight of water so 2 cups of Flour weigh 240gm.

I wanted an accurate measure and knew the 1lb jars of Honey were not 20 Fluid ounces so I weighed a 1lb jar of Honey and filled it with water and weighed that - if you don’t believe me try it!!

I always thought the 1:1 meant …1 pound of sugar to 1 pint of water…so if you do kg…you would have to do the conversion.

This is a beekeeping recognised measurement.
1:1 and 2:1 depending on the bees’ requirements.
Thereafter you can go metric or imperial as long as you don’t mix the two.
1lb sugar : 1 pint water 1kg sugar : 1 Litre water. The second will actually give you a slightly more concentrated solution. This makes no difference to the bees…
One difference to us perhaps is that 2:1 metric is on the verge of saturation so some sugar may crystallise out in cooler weather.
I can’t be bothered with all this. I use Invertbee and thymol for autumn supplementation and just slosh in some water if needed at any other time.

Some people just pour a cup of water into a bag if sugar and leave that in the hive with a split in the paper.

@dangerous People need to say 16oz:20oz then otherwise they are incorrect measuring 1:1 or more correctly 4:5.

The Chef and scientist in me screams when I see 1:1 when they are not really saying 1:1 at all
I measure 1:1 in Kg not 400g:500ml which is what you are actually advocating

Why?
Nobody in the UK uses 16oz or 20fluid ounces. It a pound and a pint.
One POUND of sugar dissolved in one PINT of water is 1:1
The best way to make autumn feed is to use a robust plastic jerry can and three quarters fill it with sugar. Mark the level and fill with hot water up to the marked level. Shake till dissolved. No weighing no messing.

@dangerous Not everybody here on the forum live in the UK and mathematically speaking it is not 1:1. If giving out quantities they need to be universal.

American Measures are different to UK and Australian measures and UK is reluctant to use the correct Metric they still use pounds and ounces when the feel and shift between the 2 without warning

1 Apple : 1 Pineapple is a correct measure
1:1 the ratios should reflect the equal or similar measurements Sticking to the universal Metric is safest in this instance.

If you deviate from this someone may think 1:1 could be 1 pound to 1 Kg, by your system this is “correct” but inaccurate and would factually be 1:2.2 = or more accurate still 5:11
KISS

If giving out quantities they need to be universal.
No…as far as bees are concerned an approximation is perfectly adequate; it doesn’t matter when you are making syrup up.
If you want to call your imperial ratio 20:16 then do
Or make it metric in which case 1 kg sugar to 1 litre ( 1 kg ) water is accurately 1:1

It’s nice to see daft discussion about sugar syrup are cropping up on new fora as well as all the old ones.

one of the youtubers I watched, uses dry sugar and just sprays a little water on top to clump it so the bees eat it rather than take it out with the trash.

The “jar” I use is a five gallon bucket with a hole in the lid for the tube…

2 Likes