Wood splitting on my cedar flow hive 2

Yesterday while in the garden I heard a snap. When I investigated the source of the sound I found a large crack across one of my cedar brood box side panels. My bees have been installed for 20 days now. Should I be concerned?

Same thing happened to one of my boxes. Mine was minor and not compromising the box strength that I could tell. If any thing or air is getting in the bees will propolize it. But, since it’s harder for me to tell from a picture regarding box strength you may decide it’s worth pursuing a replacement. If so, you can easily transfer your brood frames into a new box during a regular inspection or when making a split.

2 Likes

It looks like the seam between two pieces that make up that board - the moisture/humidity and temperature fluctuations are likely responsible, sooner or later. Chances are the gap will open and close some as the conditions vary.

Like @Eva said the bees will seal it up if need be.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::raised_hands: thanks y’all. As long as the bees are happy, I’m happy. And the other 3 sides don’t split along the same line it should hold together. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I went ahead and swapped the boxes out today while servicing the feeder. Gonna inspect it better before putting it in use.

1 Like

The split doesn’t seem to go all the way through. :partying_face:

4 Likes

The flow team rocks. They are sending me a new side panel. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::partying_face::raised_hands: I took it off and it’s definitely in two pieces. :laughing::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I would leave it as it is & just use two short bits of galvanized strapping screwed on the inside, similar to how I did this radical bee box restoration. Seeing as you’ve probably already oiled the timber of the box.

You can see by your photo, when looking at the grain that it’s 2 pieces of timber, probably joined with biscuits.

cheers

3 Likes

I think I mentioned something once before about not throwing things out when they are “still good” no matter what the economics are. But that’s next level @JeffH ! Great work saving that $20 box.
Well done mate :+1:

2 Likes

:laughing: that is a Frankenstein box if I ever seen one. Definitely not going to trash it. A friend of mine has a massive wood shop. Gonna take it over there and try to re assemble it.

1 Like

Hi @TimG & @Wizard, that was one of 30 boxes I resurrected 2 years ago, however that was the one that took the longest & required the most screws. It looks a lot better with the gaps filled & 3 coats of paint. The copper naphthenate treatment will insure that it wont need any more repairs for the rest of my lifetime.

Thanks & cheers

3 Likes