Bee Photographs

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: Love photos of bees. I will have to share some of mine :smile:

1 Like

Close JeffH, it looks like the dragon fruit flower but it is a cactus flower. An ugly plain looking cactus mostly, and then one morning you wake up and the whole yard smells as sweet as you can imagine and this one cactus has 10 or so flowers erupting out of it. The dragon fruit flower has a background of green blades as a backdrop. This one is not quite fully open but you’re right about the bees loving them, that looks like bee heaven inside there :yum: .

2 Likes

Wow, thank you. That IS a beautiful photo of a dragon fruit flower. I’ve been growing them for the past five years. I have some footage of bees right inside them having a real party. Mine are due to start flowering next month. I’d say dragon fruit is the most exciting thing I have growing. With the beautiful flowers & the fruit as a bonus. Here is a link to my dragon fruit flowers with bees video.

5 Likes

Great footage Jeff, it’s a party for bees alright, hehehe. We had our dragonfruit about 10 or so years, it grew enormous and flowered profusely, but we got very few fruit off it and it was restricting access to the citrus orchard, so we got rid of it early this year. I’d been having to cut it back by about a third every year, what a pain that was becoming. The bees loved it though, like yours do. I feel so bad about cutting it down now that we’re getting a flow hive…

These snaps from Saturday inspection before the Sydney weather cold snap arrived, a bit of an experiment using an after market macro lens screwed onto the Samsung S4 phone. Flower is a tulip (not home grown admittedly)

7 Likes

I thought I recognised those stamens - Red Appledorn tulip? possibly? one of my favourites.

I used to love going to Tesselaar’s in the Dandenong’s http://www.dandenongrangespoint.com.au/events/tesselaar-tulip-festival/

Well worth the visit

I have something similar in my sun room. It blooms at night for just the one night. The flowers must be a foot across sometimes. It’s scent is overpowering. I have always called it a Night Blooming Cereus.

5 Likes

Hi & thanks, that big one gave us 38 this year & 43 last year, the smaller one gave us 12 this year & 1 last year, it’s first fruit. They are the white ones. We also have red varieties. Someone gave us a peach color plant last year, which might give us a fruit this year if we’re lucky & I’ve got some yellow cuttings to plant. It’s all very exciting… I hope your hive goes well for you, cheers:)

2 Likes

Some Action shots my wife has taken in our garden while we wait for our December delivery…

Or earlier I Hope…

10 Likes

Hi Valli, the petals were far more pastel than the Red Appledorn’s, I’ll check next time I’m at the markets if they are still in season.

1 Like

Beeautiful blue bee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Dee, you’ve got yourself a dragon fruit, hylocereus undatus is a name I recall when first starting out with them. The scent must be insane inside the house, wow!

JeffH, I’m jealous. We had about 10 fruit in as many years, red ones. We supposedly planted a white one too, but never had a white fruit. Would love to know how the peach one goes, you’ve almost inspired me to give them another go.

Here’s a photo from one of my Coastal Moort trees, they’re absolutely humming with bees right now.

6 Likes

Great close up, colors n depth of field. I
like the limit focus to keep the eyes on a subject.

Found asleep & a bit wet…

3 Likes

A bit out of focus, but a favourite shot all the same.

8 Likes

my bees luv me :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The day after I loaded the nuc into the Full Flow…they were already into the gum tree blossom

8 Likes

Hi Andrew, absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing, cheers

Hi Allison, that’s a beautiful photo. Strange looking hive though,just kidding, cheers

1 Like

Lovely pictures, everybody.
I can’t wait for my bees to be out and about.[quote=“Allison, post:60, topic:630”]
The day after I loaded the nuc into the Full Flow…they were already into the gum tree blossom
[/quote]
Have you put the super on already?