Bee Photographs

After 4 weeks from receiving our nuc the hive was ready to add the flow frame super. I thought I’d share these photos my wife took of our bees.

15 Likes

Love the Bee breaking out

No I had the top on (but no frames in) because I had the feeder bucket in there which is higher than the roof - also to get some air because it was getting to 40+ degrees for a couple of days.

Amazing pics! Great shots with the larvae in different stages

Lovely, well done.
I just love watching new bees emerge.
AND, all you lot that complain you can’t see eggs (or the queen for that matter)…practice on that bottom picture.
Looks like the queen has just laid…pity you missed it…wonderful

G’day Heron, wow they are great photos, nice looking bees you have there. A beautiful shot of the queen. looks like they’re bringing in plenty of pollen…& nectar. The same thing’s happening down here. ah well, good luck with it, happy new year, say hi to Amanda, cheers

@Dee Yes I can see them

I know you can
:smile:
You’d be surprised how many beekeepers can’t and it’s such a very necessary skill

I’m missing my bees.
We have had rain here for nearly eight solid weeks.
The roads are awash with water.
I put my ear to the boxes to hear that lovely hum…roll on Spring.

Until a beek at our Group pointed them out, I was not sure what I was looking for so it is good to see photos from time to time so others can see them and realise what they are looking at

Hi Dee, I was thinking of you tonight wondering if you live anywhere near York. What do you think of that queen? I think she’s a beauty. Not bad for a mongrel bred queen, I reckon.

Not near York but have family in Cumbria affected.
If town planners build on flood plains that’s what happens.
Flood defences are all well and good but they just move the problem elsewhere.
Rivers should be allowed to burst their banks and flood countryside like they used to; just don’t build there!!![quote=“JeffH, post:74, topic:630”]
What do you think of that queen?
[/quote]

Lovely :smile:

Yes, well the same thing happens over here, people build on flood plains, they also build in amongst lots of gum trees, which are both off my list of where I’d build a house to live in. At the same time as houses are being flooded, there are houses being lost in bush fires.

That queen is one of my naturally selected queens. She is the progeny of a swarm I collected.

, OR she could be from

I hope Heron doesn’t mind me telling you, but he was the bloke I spoke of a few weeks ago who was going to evenly space his frames in the Flow brood box.

6 Likes

I added a small weighted Christmas tree to keep the lid down.

4 Likes

Yellow jacket on an icy morning.

2 Likes

Building my own 10 frame hive boxes n 5 frame Nuc boxes in my small woodshop.

3 Likes

Close up of one of our late fall honeybees on a chilly morning in Western Washington.

2 Likes

More honey bees in the dragon fruit. My first dragon fruit flowers for 2016

Here’s part of our 2015 dragon fruit harvest. The bees did a fantastic job, I reckon.

5 Likes

this is the very first honey that we have ever collected… it was one frames worth :slight_smile:

just as well we didn’t wait till the FH to turn up… still waiting :frowning:

but never mind… we’ve been on a better learning curve with two traditional 8 frame bee hives :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Andrew, well done. What was your method of extracting the honey?