Bee Photographs

Just discovered this thread. I love seeing photos! :slight_smile:

Here’s one of mine; the flowering gums in my street are just coming into full bloom and the bees love them!:

6 Likes

The ladies aren’t very elegant when flying full of nectar :smile:

6 Likes

Love the music Robert - always been a fan of those 70s cop shows :policeman:t2:‍♂ :man_dancing:t2: :rotating_light:

2 Likes

No bees in this photo, however you can clearly see the results.

8 Likes

I’m jealous…twenty characters to post.

1 Like

Emojis count. Just pick one with a long name. :woman_technologist:

1 Like

One or two from the sunny south!
Bees enjoying the fennel flowers.

6 Likes

I couldn’t resist taking & showing these bees in a dragonfruit flower.

I’m more into growing food, however I think I’d grow dragonfruit for the flowers alone.

5 Likes

Great pics Jeff and well focused. :sunglasses:
Good rain this past few days, looking good for a boost in the nectar foraging.
Cheers

Thank you Peter, nice rain alright. I pulled a few weeds out today, that actually came out by the roots. I agree about the nectar. The bloodwoods are putting on a nice display. cheers

1 Like

I make no apologies about being excited & keen to show of my dragonfruit flowers/fruit.

It’s only 8.30 in the morning & these 15 flowers are already wilting.

However the bees are really working them.

As you can see, there’s more flowers due to open in the coming days.

I’ll have plenty of cuttings to share or barter in about April, in case any locals want to grow some. Cuttings planted then will produce fruit in the first season.

5 Likes

Have you a pic of the fruit Jeff? The foliage looks like a common ‘cactus’ but if it is I haven’t seen it in flower let alone the fruit before.
Wow, nice rain but sure has sent the humidity off the scale.
Cheers

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=938&ei=C35JXJ6TD5vp9QO1jLu4Cg&q=dragonfruit&oq=bee&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3883.4211..6969...0.0..0.274.650.0j1j2......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0.dGN7Zzpg9vM

Edit: https://www.rareseeds.com/dragon-fruit-collection-2-plants-ships-march-june-/

Edit: Link to the photo posted by @JeffH

2 Likes

Hi Peter, I posted a photo of the fruit before we picked it on this thread 6 days ago. You’re welcome to bring Maureen down to sample some any time. We have red flesh fruit ready to pick. The photos I uploaded are all white flesh. cheers

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I Was wondering if anyone could ID the tree below?
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

We will hopefully be down possibly on the week end, I have something for you. Maureen is feeling a bit down over recent events and her condition explained to her so she could do with a day out.
Cheers mate

1 Like

Possibly a syringa? Also called a Japanese lilac…hard to tell without more clues about structure & foliage. Looks like a lovely source of pollen!

Thanks Eva,

A Syringa reticulata looks exactly like the tree. I have 3 at my place and they seem to be a gold mine for the bees.

1 Like

We have 10 flowers open today, with even more bees collecting the pollen from them. They only produce pollen. I would discover some flowers containing 10 bees in them. I have one photo to post. It’s when a fruit develops in the branch itself. This is a first for me.
DSC00304
cheers

2 Likes

I look forward to someone naming the shrub. It is one of the ones that is so common up here but I’m not sure I ever knew its name but it seems everyone has one in their yard and the bees love it, and it seems to be all flowers over Summer.
BTW where is Quorrobolong in NSW.,
Cheers