Hello from Belgium

I am keeping bees since 1 year now with 3 hives and end this year the Flow Hive!
Would like to come in contact with other Flow Hives adicts in Belgium-Zemst.

1 Like

Hi Mergel,

Another Belgian here. I am in the pre-beekeeper stage but very much motivated/interested.
DId you actually order a flow hive?
Cheers,
Koen

Koen,
Nice to hear from you. My Flow Hive will be delivered next December. IF you need more info please feel free to contact me. I live in Zemst.
Rgds
Luc

Hello,
A question from a Belgian supporter of the Flow Hive
What is the maintenance work for such a hive ? Is it as simple as putting the bees in the hive and thatā€™s it ? Or do you also have to maintain ( clean; etc, etc ) the hive ?
How does it work ?
Where can I buy healthy bees in Belgium
Patrick Bontinckx
Beehive

In a word, no
You have to look in on the box of bees periodically to check their health and to monitor their progress, particularly around swarming time when the bees want to reproduce the colony. If you lose a swarm you will lose up to 70% of the bees and most of your honey crop. Spring/Summer inspections are usually every week to ten days.
My advice would be to join a local beekeeping clubā€¦Google for one near you. Learn how to look after your bees and get a mentor to help you in your first year.
The Flow Frames are a method of extracting the honey but you still have to look after the bees.
Good luckā€¦itā€™s a wonderful hobby

Patrick,
the best is to join a starters course.
The Flemish bee association KonVib (KonVib.be) organises these courses in this period , before the start of the bee-season.
If you need more info you can always contact me.
I am a proud possessor of a Flow Hive delivered just today!!
If you tell me where you live, I will give you the contact details of the nearest bee-club. These people can help and guide you in the starting up period.
rgds
Luc

Koen, my Flow Hive arrived today.
Rgds
Luc

Hello Luc,
which hive are you using, Dadant or Langstroth?
Iā€™m still waiting for my Flow Hive, ordered end march 15.
Regards,
Christoph from Rixensart

Gunt, I am using Segeberger styrofoam hives. DN (Deutche Normal) dimentions .
I reduced my Langstroth Flow Hive in the meantime to DN dimentions inside, so that I can use the standard DN frames once the season startsā€¦
Rgds
Luc

Hi Luc,

How are you doing now after some time with the flow hive?
I am very curious. I havenā€™t gotten round to taking a course (Ghent region everything is/was full)
but will do so this year hopefully & then finally start next spring myself.

Koen,
Koen,
My flowhive was installed on a very stong bee family begin April.
I moistered the plastic frames with honeywater and it took till end May when they really started to put honey in.
Only two plastic frames today have for 40% capped honey. The wax frames underneed were easily filled.
The exceptional rainy wheather for months now, did not also helped .
I hope that in the next 4 weeks , before the bee season ends (21 July) we will see better wheather and finally honey coming in.
Next year I have to find a better method on making my bees more used to plastic frames.
I will ask the Flow community for help and experience.
Rgds
Luc

Hi Luc,

The weather has been a disaster to be honest! (For other people reading this, wettest month of June EVER in belgium)
Did you put the flow super on there when the other super was 100% filled?
I sure hope for the bees (& our sake) that the weather picks up. Unfortunately I see that a lot of companies have started trimming the sides of the roads down (where there were a lot of flowers/thistles waiting for the bees), makes me a bit sad.
Good luck with your hive(s) in the next weeks.
If you ever have room for a novice to look over your shoulder or help out, please let me know :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Koen

Hi Luc,

Very curious how you are doing with your hive now!
I was able to help out with some friends doing the harvest, which only made my ā€˜hungerā€™ for keeping my own bees bigger.
The flow hive is on offer currently and I am doubting to pull the trigger.
Do I get the full hive ore just the framesā€¦ not sure which type I will use thoughā€¦ and not sure if the langstroth hives sold in bijenhof are compatible with the flow hive, seems like different dimensions to meā€¦

Koen,

My flow hive did well the first year. After a very slow acceptance start in April/May the bees produced some 12 kg magnificent honey. I placed the Flow box on top of a Segeberger DN box, which is more becoming a standard in Belgium, besides Simplex.

The Langstroth box length is Ā±4 cm longer and Ā±8cm less in width then the Segeberger . So, I closed the gaps with multiplex material.

Langstroth hives have standard dimensions, so the Bijenhof hives should be compatible.

Best rgds

Luc

Van: Koen De Croo [mailto:honeyflow@discoursemail.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 12 augustus 2016 14:59
Aan: lucmergeay@hotmail.com
Onderwerp: [Forum] [Introductions] Hello from Belgium

https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/k/f6c823/45.png

http://forum.honeyflow.com/users/kdcr KDCR
August 12

Hi Luc,

Very curious how you are doing with your hive now!
I was able to help out with some friends doing the harvest, which only made my ā€˜hungerā€™ for keeping my own bees bigger.
The flow hive is on offer currently and I am doubting to pull the trigger.
Do I get the full hive ore just the framesā€¦ not sure which type I will use thoughā€¦ and not sure if the langstroth hives sold in bijenhof are compatible with the flow hive, seems like different dimensions to meā€¦

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/hello-from-belgium/1728/13 Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, http://forum.honeyflow.com/email/unsubscribe/9573c37b074caedfb2a6ce58bef9f4f249701a39b07863dc0b213f0dadfbfea1 click here.

Koen, if you want to come and see you are always welcome. If you pass me your email adress then i give you my home adress and phone nr.
Best rgds
Luc

Hi Luc,

I dont know anything about keeping beeā€™s but I know that it would help the nature and them.
I have read above that you used this bee hive already and want to know if I can visit and ask some questions.

Kr
Nele Verbeke

Nelle, no probleem.please pass me your mail email adress.
rgds
Luc

• List item

As some other people here I myself am also a complete newbie. I have never had bees never interested perticularly. Since a while I have been looking into the FLow Hive system which takes away a lot of the ā€œmessyā€ work for a beginner.

By any chance any people from West-Vlaanderen? I would love to drop by if possible to see if it really interests me.
I do have access to a fantastic place to keep bees (millions of flowers all around) but not sure if this is realy
my cup of tea :slight_smile:

Are there any bee keepers near you? The traditional kind? Have a look at how they work with their bees because the management is the same. The flow super just enables you to extract the honey a different way.

Dee,
In have now 2 years experience with Flow.
This year we have great results. A pitty that it is difficult to adapt th? frames tot European hive sizes, otherwise I would buy much more frames.
Best rgds
Luc
Outlook voor Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36 downloaden