Hi all from Martin - Flow Beekeeper Suit Kits

Hi all from Martin in Australia.

Just a quick intro. I am part of the Flow Team and have several hives in both Langstroth, and Top Bar configurations. I am active in our local beekeepers clubs and meetings and my son is the kid beekeeper from Get Grubby TV on Australia’s ABC Kids Channel

I have experience building Top Bar Hives out of recycled timbers such as shown below

I also have experience with both building and maintaining Langstroth hives. I am additionally focused on Integrated Pest Management techniques for control of hive pests such as Varroa and Small Hive Beetle. If you have questions on best practices and methods we have found useful, please let me know and I will be happy to share my knowledge.

I also can be very helpful with regards questions on the Flow Beekeeper Suit Kits

When selecting your Beekeepers suit, please keep in mind you may be wearing clothes underneath, however If not that is totally up to you. So please do keep in mind the beekeeping suit may be worn during times of the year when you would like to wear a sweater/jumper under the suit. – Please see the notes below when considering your personal size requirements.

It is generally recommended that you consider sizing your beesuit a bit larger size than normal clothing in order to accommodate wearing clothes underneath and for loose fitting. The most important measurement
on sizing is the Torso, or “nape to crotch” in the sizing chart. The next important measurement to consider is the “waist band circumference” which is an elastic waistband. You will want the elastic waistband to be fitting your individual size. When gathering your measurements, also consider wearing clothes especially a sweater/jumper if you think you will need to wear this type of clothing under your suit when managing your hive.

Slightly larger than your normal sized clothing will be preferred as you DO NOT want your beesuit to be tight fitting. Beekeeper suits are not tight fitting fashion items and the best fitting beekeepers suit is slightly baggy.
It is the loose fitting cotton material that keeps you from getting stung by angry bees. Beekeeper Suit sizes DO run slightly larger than your normal clothing to account for this needed baggy fitting already.
However, it is also recommended that you consider selecting a larger size if right on the edge of two sizes.
Sizing Example:
This below example a photo is me wearing one of the Flow Beekeepers Suits. I am a typical Male 6’ 0" 172lbs (183cm-78kg) and will fit both a Medium or Large Sized Beekeepers Suit. - I Prefer size Large

When wearing the tighter fitting size medium simple tasks such as bending over the hive may make the suit tight fitting or lift the ankle cuffs up over the top of your boots. Therefore a large would be
the preferred size. Plus if your beekeeping will be done in a cool region size medium would not account for wearing clothing underneath.

Martin

2 Likes

I can’t say I have ever considered going commando in a bee suit, Martin :sunglasses:

Great advice re sizing!

Well, I have heard of crazier things

1 Like

What!!! Is this for real or did I have a few too many beers at happy hour?

Nope Becky, this guy had more beers!

This is what happens to guys that can’t find a date, lol.

Hi Martin, do you know if the bee suits are still on target to be delivered July? I am in the US.