Hide long comments

I wonder if it would be possible for the long comments to be hidden like they do on You Tube. With comments on You Tube, 5or6 lines are visible & the rest are hidden. If anyone wants to read the whole comment, all they have to do is click on “read more” to read the whole comment. Or click on “show less” to hide it again.

4 Likes

I didn’t think my comments were that long Jeff! :smile:

G’day Sam, I saw a couple of really long comments a couple of weeks ago. That was when I thought it would be a good idea to hide most of the comment like they do on You Tube. They used to have a limit on characters, which was a bit of a pain. I thought it was a brilliant idea when they dropped the limit on characters & started hiding the portion of the comment above a certain number of lines. I left a couple of comments on Vino Farms latest video on You Tube.

I guess we know after reading 5or6 lines whether we want to continue reading more. It’s only one click to show it or hide it again.

1 Like

Oi @JeffH, I resemble that remark!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Must be my academic training making me long-winded… :blush:

Hi Dawn, I get a bit long-winded myself:). It was after commenting & reading the comments on Vino’s You Tube video that prompted me to start this thread. I like the concept. I don’t know how it would work for photos, probably hide them, then it’s only a click to view them & another click to hide them again.

1 Like

I like it. When people take the time to explain, I seem to understand it better. It seems the modern way to do everything in a rush.

I have learned to write e-mails with the essential stuff in the first sentence. If I don’t do that, people often ask again for something that was already in the first message. Sad really. We are all running so hard, that we don’t have the time to stop and listen, or read.

Not directed at you, just musings of a crusty academic. :smile:

3 Likes

Hi Dawn, it was after watching this video, I saw how quickly Rob Stone got into the story.

After that I started getting straight to the point on my videos. I realize that with so much information available to us all, we don’t want to listen to a lot of small talk. One of the features of You Tube is “view duration”. Not only can we see where the views, thumbs up or down come from but how long the videos are being viewed for. I guess if a video receives lots of thumbs down & has a poor view duration, that’s a fair indicator that maybe the publisher should delete that video & try again.

2 Likes

May I have one more gripe? it’s users confusing two, too & to. We learned that at primary school.

5 Likes

Don’t forget your and you’re :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/queen-bee-above-the-excluder/8680/28?u=rbk

3 Likes

Hi Sam:) they covered that in high school, I didn’t pay much attention there. You’re right though, when you come to think about it. The trouble with me is “spell check” doesn’t underline bad anglesh.

I heard about a bloke who got out of jury duty once. He wrote in & told them his reason was “not spake gud anglesh”. Something like that.

.Finally one of my pet hates addressed without sounding like a nit picker.

And;

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Unfortunately it’s missing lose and loose! :smile:

2 Likes

Love it! I also hate people saying “different than”. It should be “different from”. So sloppy, but I am a product of an OCD secondary school… :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Greg, I’m glad I started this thread. I’d like a dollar for every time I spelt your when I should be spelling you’re & I’m sure I got then & than mixed up quite a bit. I’m going to be trying hard to get it right in the future.

1 Like

the downside to that idea is that posts can sometimes go off track of what the original post was about, only showing the last 5 or 6 posts could make people stop viewing or reply on any posts older than a few days, if you are following a post, it’s not that hard to scroll to where you left off

1 Like

I’m not suggesting showing the last 5or6 posts, only showing the first 5or6 lines of each post. For example, your post is 3 lines, none of that would be hidden. Every post on You Tube is visible. I just checked, it’s the first 4 lines that are visible, anything after 4 lines is hidden. After reading the first 4 lines, you know by then if you want to read more, if you do, it’s only one click to show it & then another click to hide it again.

ok, you explained it better that time

Yeah, after reading my opening comment, I fail to see how it could be interpreted in any other way than it was intended.

1 Like

that’s just your opinion, yet again trying to have an argument over something so trivial, I’ll not bother with answering your posts in future

2 Likes

Merging topics.
Why do I have to read through so many already read comments when topics are merged? Why even merge? Surely the poster could just get given a link pointing in the right direction and then the new thread will fade away to obscurity leaving one unjumbled main topic thread.
Ok rant over, I feel better now.

1 Like