How not to care for bees!

If you can bear to watch these YouTube video’s, this is certainly how NOT to keep bees…
Words fail me, and with my head in my hands i just couldn’t believe what i was watching.
Someone should tell this guy that this isn’t Beekeeping by any means.
This type of practice and disregard is what Flow Hive haters have spoken out about in the past.
This ‘Beekeeper’ has no knowledge, skill or empathy for his bees.

:angry: :angry:

https://youtu.be/Al_-0EcjnBQ

Seems that he must like the taste of highly smoked honey… :open_mouth:

His “bee brush” isn’t a proper gentle, soft bee brush either - looks like he is using a cleaning brush. I have never seen anyone use an uncapping knife quite like that either. Unbalanced spinning of a frame is very unwise too. He needs a mentor urgently. Unfortunately we are not allowed to leave comments on YouTube for him, so I guess he won’t learn. :thinking: :disappointed_relieved:

The bit I watched was seriously rough. Kept saying it was 48 degrees and late afternoon and just pulled the hive apart dumping bees outside. Suppose he does not want them to survive when he treats them like that!

Cheers
Rob.

Seeing that video right through has left me totally stunned. I first got the idea it was a ‘set-up’ comedy clip but seeing all the bees being killed I realized this guy is a “know all - know nothing” idiot. So many very basic ‘bad practice’ and total lack of knowledge in bee keeping. I really hope they abscond on him :hushed:
I guess the Chinese look-alike Flow Hive will only be used for a short time before he gives bee keeping a big miss.
Cheers

That was seriously painful. The amount of crunching as he sloppily fumbled frames out of the hive, smoking bees from an inch away - just absolute jackassery. At least we know from the fact that you can’t leave comments on that video that he must have gotten his share of “love” from the community, so hopefully he learned something. It was his first and last bee video though…

3 Likes

My beekeeping IQ just went down 30 points after watching that video.

1 Like

O lord I had to stop after only one minute. Watching him smoke the bees to death- what a train wreck.

1 Like

@Anon @Semaphore I watched that last December and first thought it was a comedy skit till I saw all the dead bees. Making out he was some sort of expert – a drip under pressure :grimacing::pensive:
Sad that his clip wasn’t removed off YouTube in my opinion.
Cheers, Peter

Yep couldn’t watch much either putting the smoker on the plastic crate was unusual but I guess if it doesn’t stay lit its not a problem…
Of course no traditional hive keepers would be like this. :smirk:

1 Like

Is he supposed to be inspecting flow frames? I have not gotten that far, I need to see the correct way now I have seen the wrong way. So mean to the bees.

1 Like

There’s a new video gone up today.

hmmm, he has allowed comments on this one… any one up on giving him some ‘constructive feedback’?

How about the link Jack or Rob, I could do with a laugh today :laughing:
Cheers

This is the new one:

If he takes comments, it’d be a good opportunity to ask him how the cane queen excluder is going. They might be better than the plastic ones.

I watched 1/2 of the first video. I see an issue with his brood, not that the camera person made it easy to see. On the 3rd frame he pulled out, there are lots of sunken caps. Also the uncapped mature brood is right at the entrance of the cells instead of well back. Almost like they’ve been shaken out. I wonder if that is something to do with mites. If you pause the video at the right spot, you can see what I mean.

The camera work is atrocious, I couldn’t watch any more.

One of the first things I learnt about keeping bees is to work from the back of the hive. It wouldn’t hurt, although it seems illogical, for him to face the entrance the other way.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6HInEI8K8

1 Like

It’s at the 13 minute mark, you can start pausing. @Dawn_SD might know why the bee grubs are right at the entrance of the cells, instead of the back of the cells. All I can think of is that it must be something to do with mites.

he seems to be about the most oblivious beekeeper I have ever seen. At one point he brushes some bees off the top of the box using his hive tool- completely uneccesary and lacking in any empathy for the bees. Standing in front of the entrance is just silly. I wonder about his bamboo exluder- it’s like what you see with the fake flow frames. I wonder if his frames are the real deal? In that first video there is zero honey in them- though the hive does seem to be going pretty well (except for what you said about the brood).

1 Like

Unfortunately his attitude and knowledge is bee keeping hasn’t changed. He blocked comments on his last clip so I guess he didn’t want to accept good advice from experienced bee keepers. Why make a clip when he doesn’t know the difference between capped brood and pollen stored in cells pretty much says it all.
His hive is a Chinese copy of a Flow Hive, he bought a copy thinking he was buying a bargain. Assuming the frames are also fakes has to be right Jack. There is no way a guy like him would even consider he hadn’t bough a genuine Flow Hive.
Considering the time since his first clip I am worried for the survival of his colony if he continues with his ‘inspections’ so often considering th bees he kills and the stress he puts the colony under.
Cheers

1 Like

Just watched what I could of this video, makes me so angry. I felt horrible when I squished my first bee. What a meanie. :angry:

1 Like

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum and the exciting world of bee keeping.
Squashing bees as a beginner is a part of learning how to care for the bees: that sounds harsh but it is a fact. As you do your inspections more you will be more careful. Just take your time, relax, use smoke as needed to make bees move out of the way and work in ‘slow motion’ to give the bees time to move.
As you gain more experience you will cause less fatalities. Look at it that the loss of a few bees is a small price for the health of the others.
Cheers

1 Like