WOW harvesting methods bring out the bias Flow Haters

@Martha I know you well enough to believe that you would never fake something like that. The bees I had for my first harvest were all over the back of the hive and I was glad to have an enclosed setup. I needed to wear a bee suit too. However, subsequent harvests have been different and less frantic.

I think it depends on how much forage is available and how defensive the hive is “feeling” at the time you harvest. If it is a nice warm day with plenty of nectar flowing, you probably won’t be harassed. If it is cooler and very dry, you might get a lot of investigation from stray bees and guards. :nerd_face:

1 Like

What is southern pie? I live in the south but not quite sure. If I had to guess I would say buttermilk pie or translucent pie?

But seriously Martha Great video. I “liked” it also.

2 Likes

Hi Martha, what I found out to put a video on here so it shows up with the arrow in the middle is to put the video link on the next paragraph. So after you finish typing, click enter, then paste the link. Then click enter again to continue typing.

Having said that, it didn’t work if I copied the link via my youtube channel. It worked when I copied the link to the video after finding the video via a general search on youtube. It took a bit of trial & error to figure it all out one day.

1 Like

I guess that depends on who you are and what you like. :blush: To my mind, one of the most “southern” pies there is would be pecan pie. I love it when it is made really well. However, I am nowhere near being qualified to judge, so my opinion is just for myself. :smile:

1 Like

Flow hive, Martha’s harvest video, southern pie - YEAH BABY!!!

:cherry_blossom::tada::fist_right::fist_left::honeybee::hibiscus::rainbow::peach::pie::rocket::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Maybe we can make a flow hive honey pecan pie!

4 Likes

Saw that movie :innocent::innocent::innocent:

2 Likes

I need that recipe right now! It is my birthday soon and I want it!!! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Carro syrup has the best pecan pie recipe. For a real southern pie make a chess pie. Yum! A chess pie is a post civil war pie omitting the pecans due to lack of nuts. Both are great!

1 Like

That sounds very much like the concept of a British “Treacle Tart”. Favorite dessert of 6 to 10 year olds of my generation. The ingredients are very different (US is a sort of egg custard, UK is pure carbs), but the result of both is a sinful bliss of high blood sugar rush! :smile:

Oh to be young and skinny again! :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve not tried the recipe but it did look good. :smiley:

4 Likes

Wow, Martha, thank you! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh yummy!! Now who will experiment with replacing corn syrup with honey… hmmm maybe I will. :smirk:

1 Like

I would love it if you would post photos and a a review of the results! :blush:

2 Likes

I would definitely pasteurize the raw unfiltered honey prior to cooking with it because the pro biotics and yeasts bubble up a foam similar to what chicken goes through when boiling. Maybe the raw honey won’t leave a foam in a small amount but having pasteurized some honey my self I would definitely test a sample prior to using it in a recipe.

Interesting thought @Martha. I regularly make honey glazed carrots, cooking the carrots in broth and honey for about 10 minutes, and have never had any foaming issues.

My only concern about switching honey for corn syrup was a sweetness issue. I thought that corn syrup would be quite a bit sweeter than honey. Turns out I was wrong! They are almost the same, with corn syrup having a sweetness of 100 and honey 97. The baking experiment needs to be done and tasted!

I too use it raw in small doses. I had an after thought of the foam when I pasteurized a gallon of honey. The only reason I mentioned it is because some recipes/dishes are costly to make. Eliminating recipe failure for expensive ingredients was my only concern.

Let the harvest bigots and nay sayers argue my 6 gallons of honey harvested in an hour and a half.

now that moving past my irritation of harvest bias. I’m so excited to show y’all my photo!

Everyone in this forum helped me out! So please feel my excitement because with out all your support I’ld still be hoping for healthy bees and honey from my super. So in my book it’s pure raw unfiltered highly supportive subdivision international forum honey from some serious bee love. :raised_hands::clap::peace_symbol::honeybee::heart: :grinning::grinning::grinning: https://youtu.be/j9PHv1KhQno

10 Likes

I was making another video and My Mom called in the middle if it and I got cut off. LOL! https://youtu.be/j9PHv1KhQno Maybe because I’m logged in to google the auto play link wont work? Foiled again!

Many congratulations, @Martha! I love your video and I loved it too. :blush:

One in the eye for the mealy-mouthed naysayers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes