Yikes… the only issue I have had… despite all due care, this part split.
Bugger! A new set is $34 from the shop. But I’d try wood glue and a clamp first.
Would have been better to send pre-assembled. Not to worry If I had to have bit break I’d choose that.
As I recall, that hole is not pre-drilled - the same thing happened to me. I glued it and then pre-drilled the hole and everything has been fine for 3.5 years…
The first thing is to email the Flow team. They may be able to help you.
The next step is to by some titebond 2 or 3, it’s the strongest wood glue out there. Glue it, clamp it and you’ll be fine.
You should pre drill holes with a matched size drill bit to avoid splitting.
yea… did pre drill. Obviously not deep enough.
We have replacement shelf kits available through our webstores. We can give you some guidance on which style you need if you are unsure.
However, if it arrived damaged or you think it would be an issue covered by warranty, please contact email@example.com for assistance with a replacement.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks for your reply. Already done & warranty replacement is on the way.
That’;s great Paul - it did sound to me like it would be covered! Thanks for contacting us.
So the replacement part arrived (thanks Flow team)).
However… It was pre-broken. In the exact same spot… Thankfully not during assembly as that would have done my head in!!!
Because the part is covered by Flow’s support team, you’re probably best to go directly to them, instead of sharing it here.
Having said that, & the part wasn’t covered by warranty, generally speaking, what I would do if it was mine, I would drill a clearance hole for a screw in the small piece, then gently put in a screw long enough to go through the small piece & into the large piece by about 15mm, using pva glue between the joint. The strength will be in the glue after it cures. The screw is only to pull the joint tight while the glue cures.
Bro well it is covered by warranty. It arrived broken.
And I’m only sharing to add to the data so others who experience a similar issue can see that there is a precedent.
Thanks for the tip though.
@JeffH is a wizard with fixing up broken stuff, and knowing him for about 7 years or so now, I believe that he can’t bear to throw anything rescuable away. I think that is why he offered those comments.
My husband is like that too. I think that I am lucky, because it means that even if I am worn out or broken, he will still be around trying to make me as good as I can be…
Looks like Flow needs to increase the strength of their packaging though. A padded paper bag is an adventurous choice for a piece of wood with a potential weak point…
Yea I took the comment as being helpful! That piece though… it clearly got a weakness at that point. I busted the first one and the replacement arrived broken…. Other than that the hive seems well made. Great design!. I’ve just finished assembling and oiling mine… Loooks great!
Wow, that looks fabulous! What a great job you have done.
Thanks Dawn … I’m happy with how it turned out!
Jeff I did glue all the joins in addition to screwing BTW. So I’m guessing that the screws are now almost redundant. Not that I’m planning on removing them. Overkill or good choice in your opinion?
Definitely keep those screws in Paul. My reason being that the joints are exposed to a lot of weather. You want the screws to hold in case the glue lets go during a long wet period.
In relation to the broken bit: Pine is very weak in a situation like that. One could run the grain at right angles to alleviate that weak point, only to create another weak point on the opposite end. Marine ply would be ideal in this situation. That would remove all the weak points.
Yea I figured in time the screws could loosen in the timber causing the structure to develop a bit on movement… slop. No chance of that now.
I’m not likely to use that damaged part anyhow. It’s sort of superfluous really. Wouldn’t miss it if it were not provided.