How long is Queue?

Totally agree with everyone especially how long is the string. They have done a great job with getting this out to the public. I was only wanting to get the boxes as soon as possible so I can finish preparing my side yard as well as understanding the box size and purchasing an extra one for brood. I know it is very unlikely that I will need the flow frames for quite some time. My NUC will not arrive until March 15. This just helps me get prepared and motivated to get my side yard complete as well as build my stand and a small water garden.

Just a pass on will be posting an un-boxing video here shortly. I am missing all the hardware and knobs as well as the wooden pieces that turn to keep the view window and flow hive access from falling out. I sent them an email as well as the text message from their website.
Video will be available as soon as it loads

2 Likes

Have you contacted @Beethinking?

No, I understand that they may be the ones building everything. But I would think I would go directly to flow hive for any issues. If you think I should go to them I certainly will, no issues with contacting extra people.

I included the @ to tag BeeThinking in on this - the wood ware is their part of the Flow - as I see it you only have the Hives and no frames yet? they will come separate.

The frame will be from Brisbane Queensland Australia (QLD)

Hi Valli,

We are coastal/urban. Not much agriculture here. Some avocados, lots of citrus, havenā€™t seen any almonds, no stone fruits or apples/pears etc - we are too warm for the fruits to set up properly.

I still remember the smell of rapeseed fields from the UK - so strong and overpowering to my nose. Never tried the honey, although there were fields within 2 miles of our home in Oxford (inside the ring road), so maybe I did. :smile:

I agree though, now the chemicals are the worry. At least you donā€™t have SHB to worry about in the UK yetā€¦ Yetā€¦ But even when they come, the frost will help control them a bit.

Dawn

Thanks for the update, and sorry about the missing parts. Definitely go through Flow customer service. Theyā€™ll initiate the process to get the hardware, etc. your way.

Your hive came from the Illinois location, correct? This will help us determine whether itā€™s systemic or a one-off.

Thanks,
Matt

I tries some Mexican Orange Blossom Honey - didnā€™t really like it.

Rapeseed and I had a close encounter 28 years ago - I hate the stuff - was skydiving at Peterborough and landed in the Rape - sticky and smelly.

Actually just reminded me Iā€™m doing a Tandum Parachute Jump for Charity (MS) in April-ish - Rapeseed will be in full flower but the Tandum guys will land in the dz (Drop Zone) - I was only learning to skydive then

WOW! WOW! Just hung up the phone with Tony at BeeThinking. He is taking care of everything for me. Absolutely amazed and again great job.

1 Like

Well done! Happy Bunny Now?

Marty, I received mine yesterday and it shipped from the same location in Illinois. All of the hardware and knobs were in my package so it may have just been overlooked on your unit. Glad to hear the supplier is taking care of getting you the missing parts. I was very impressed with the quality of the cedar parts and the packaging. The cedar was all very straight and any knots were tight and not missing. It would be tough to find western red cedar in these widths any nicer. They have all of the hardware grouped and labeled by the section that it goes to. This makes assembly straight forward. The viewing window wood burning that notes that you are a founding supporter is a classy touch as well as is the thank you note fro Cedar and his Dad. The only issues with mine were some of the predrilled holes were missed andy the access door for the super does not fit. The holes were easy to drill and I feel I can probably fine tune the door to make it work. I only had one dovetail that split when running in a screw so it went together pretty cleanly. All in all I am very impressed with what they have done and the product they have sent out.

My video is taking it sweeeeet time to process :frowning:

BeeThinking ā€œTonyā€ was GREAT!!

BeeThinking was on Shark Tank about a year ago. I was very impressed with them an wanted to support them so I bought some honey I later bought keeping suit/kit from them as well whatā€™s I was supporting the flow hive.

Ok, it posted, took for every

Let me know what yall think

I will do one putting it together when the hardware gets here

My unboxing, Looking forward to getting it all together

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Marty, Very exciting timesšŸ˜€ Cheers Tim

Might I suggest that rather than splitting your two existing colonies you wait till you have to artificially swarm them. They will be strong and ready to move on.
Carnies are quite prolific (read swarmy, if you like) so you should be able to split them early in the year.Then you will have four colonies and two new queens. Wait till new queens are laying worker brood.
Rather than keeping these fourā€¦ if you want a half decent crop you can then combine one parent hive with its split. Keep the new queen heading this which will become your production colony.
Letā€™s presume you have one of those swarms you are looking for. You can now re-queen with your proven Carni queen.

Well, Iā€™ll probably have a spare queen when I split. I could always post her to you.
You could make up a nuc for her then use that to re-queen another of your swarms

I was thinking of doing a Frame from each as a walk away split again - if they donā€™t take then reuniting to the mother hive.

I think Emerald was mated with at least one Black Bee from Wales - So will love to get a daughter from her or 2 - any of her daughters will be F3.

I looked in on Sapphire the other day when it was mild - her numbers are good and 7 frames of stores.

By the time I got to Emerald it started to spit but her numbers look good and stores look OK - I had Fondant to put on each but changed my mind they both had plenty of stores - I was worried in the mild weather with the girls venturing out the were eating into the store but they are all doing really well.

Yes that is a plan. donā€™t forget I may be picking up a hive locally here as well = or have some one interested in it already.

What ever I do they will be inspected before I let them go with plenty of stores and brood

As stated in a previous post Valli suggest I call BeeThinking, They were vary helpful and apologize, They shipped out right a way the hardware. It was in one bag all together that was just left out. I took advantage of The fact they were sending me something and ordered another box for deep brood as well as if you want itā€™s all due to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

So I will have a good project the 4 days I have off for new years and will post that video of putting it all together.

This forum has been great, I have learned so much just by reading the questions all have posted. 2016 is going to be a GREAT year. Starting a new hobby. BTW also starting a hydroponic garden as well. My set up will (I Hope) allow me to take my garden outside from time to time an let my beeā€™s help them.

2 Likes

I got an email from flow hive this morning indicating that the flow frames would be shipped in about 2 weeks i.e. mid-January.

Certainly donā€™t need them until well after my bees (NUC) arrive which is mid-March, so I guess Iā€™ll have another Christmas present in January :slight_smile:

1 Like

Purchased Feb 23, we are still waiting on the 7 frames. To see other people with a later purchase dates getting theirs is discouraging. I have a stack of emails that states, soon. The latest says, give it another 72 hours. That last email was 7 days ago. I hope everyone does get theirs in a timely manner. At this, point the kinks with the shipping should be worked out.

well, I just got emails right now about the Flow Frame, we will see come mid-January. Hope you get yours soon as well.

Where are you located?
Have you gotten your boxes yet?